Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

i cant stand this engine

Old 08-13-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ronjenx
It must have a throttle body spacer, and possibly a Sprint Booster.
Hey you! I actually like my Sprint Booster. Still can't get wheelies though.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on all of the great reviews I’m just glad that threads like this will be things of the past now that the 2012 is finally out.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't know what I was getting into, but this is what I expexted! Took it for a ride and fell in love, she sure is an expensive bitch!! but she makes me happy! Isn't that all that matters?

She's still a cheaper option than my Ex though...and there's np complaining to boot.

Ride her hard.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by joe002
Based on all of the great reviews I’m just glad that threads like this will be things of the past now that the 2012 is finally out.
Don't count on it.

Unless people learn that gear ratio matters when changing tire size.

And adding hundreds of pounds of steel changes power/weight ratios.

Or finally accept we are driving vehicles with a transfer case and the aerodynamics of a brick.
Which means a motor that gets 25+ mpg in a sleek 2wd will get 18 (if their lucky) in a Wrangler.

Only then will the bitching stop.

Which means it won't.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-13-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Yankee
Don't count on it.

Unless people learn that gear ratio matters when changing tire size.

And adding hundreds of pounds of steel changes power/weight ratios.

Or finally accept we are driving vehicles with a transfer case and the aerodynamics of a brick.
Which means a motor that gets 25+ mpg in a sleek 2wd will get 18 (if their lucky) in a Wrangler.

Only then will the bitching stop.

Which means it won't.
Sorry, forgot to add...
Old 08-13-2011, 08:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by srt8ftw
i love my jeep, but i despise its engine. the 3.8 is pathetic, i get the shittiest mpg and have no power????? on the road i dont have to many complaints besides the mileage. my previous car was a jeep srt8 with the 6.1 hemi but for some reason i get worse milage with my 1000 pound lighter wrangler equipped with an engine almost half the size with half the power??? its retarded. on the beach with my 35's in 4hi i can barely fucking move from a start its actually pretty embarrassing. jeepers with the auto i dont know how u do it. its even worse that u cant do shit to it to give u any noticeable gains your just stuck with it as it is. guess ima just wait till the day that i can put a real engine in my 40k jeep. wtf jeep idk what u were thinking
Well, I decided it was a lot cheaper to just buy a new 2012 with the new Pentastar 3.6L than spend a ton on the old 3.8L and at the end of the day - it's still the old 3.8L that is underpowered by design. Time marches on...
Old 08-14-2011, 01:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I came from a fdII patriot. My jk got lots of balls and great milage. Ha ha.

The pat was a great vehicle but power it did not have.

A small hemi for the jk and the pentastar for the pat would be the ideal solution.

The small hemi will work fine just increase spring rate a bit to take the extra weight
Old 08-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kojack
I came from a fdII patriot. My jk got lots of balls and great milage. Ha ha.

The pat was a great vehicle but power it did not have.

A small hemi for the jk and the pentastar for the pat would be the ideal solution.

The small hemi will work fine just increase spring rate a bit to take the extra weight
There are regulatory stipulations for the JK not to go past a certain power to weight ratio - if you notice the engine went down in displacement and up in power keeping the "formula" for the IIHS consistent. If it comes from the manufacturer with a larger or more powerful engine it will not remain a "Jeep" in the purest sense. For example the tops and doors may not be able to come off... Essentially you get a Durango INSTEAD OF THE Wrangler... this was passed along to us by a Jeep employee on the aftermarket side - explaining why it would be hard to get an aftermarket power-adder in the Mopar catalog But then again who knows they may have turned down our kit to make it compliant (boring) like the Toyota TRD blowers, hardly worth the $6k for barely 60hp gain.

RIPPTECH

Last edited by RIPPMODS; 08-15-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
There are regulatory stipulations for the JK not to go past a certain power to rate ratio - if you notice the engine went down in displacement and up in power keeping the "formula" for the IIHS consistent. If it comes from the manufacturer with a larger or more powerful engine it will not remain a "Jeep" in the purest sense. For example the tops and doors may not be able to come off... Essentially you get a Durango INSTEAD OF THE Wrangler... this was passed along to us by a Jeep employee on the aftermarket side - explaining why it would be hard to get an aftermarket power-adder in the Mopar catalog But then again who knows they may have turned down our kit to make it compliant (boring) like the Toyota TRD blowers, hardly worth the $6k for barely 60hp gain.

RIPPTECH
That is interesting.

Eh, thats okay then. Let them do what they have to, to keep it a Wrangler.

Because from what I see in the forums, Wrangler owners are not very good conformists once they have the Jeep.

In fact neither is RIPP (thank goodness).

Last edited by Yankee; 08-15-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

You guys are crazy. I drive a 47,000 dollar Tahoe that I think is slow and clunky with a V8.

A jeep which I'll be trading for is cheap compared to that and I'm willing to bet just as quick if not quicker.

Quick Reply: i cant stand this engine