Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

i cant stand this engine

Old 08-13-2011, 06:11 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A JK is not a speed truck, it's an off-road vehicule.
But the manual has better acceleration

Last edited by JKU Rubicon; 08-13-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 08-13-2011, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had a '97 TJ with 2.5 four with manual tranny .... it sucked! It was a good crawler but that was it. Driving on pavement--forget it!! I couldn't wait to get rid of it! MY '10 JK with 3.8 although an improvement when compared to that '97 is still pitiful in power and fuel consumption over a decade later! I don't know....I swore after that '97 TJ I was done with Jeeps, but here I am again. I am still hanging on hoping that one day Jeep will be sold off once again from that junk Chrysler brand and get it right!

That is a cool profile pic by the way, Mac!
Old 08-13-2011, 06:59 AM
blw
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I can say is with a 2-door and 6 speed manual I am fine with the engine, and I like how much room there is under the bonnet to do work.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would imagine that the motor and gearing is more of a marketing thing. They have designed these with the ability to sell to the average Mr/Mrs Doe, your mini van, crossover and suv buyers. People that will never be doing any mod's to it.

All of us that are buying with plans to do mod's, will probably change gears to suit those mod's anyway, so they don't really have to factor us in to that as much. I will even go so far as to say, if it wasn't for the very large number of us that will do the mod's, they probably wouldn't even waste the time providing 4 low.

I use 4.88 with my 34 inch tires, totally happy with the results. Sure more power would be sweet, but only time I had any issue was on the highway in Colorado pull my trailer up one of the really step passes. No issues off road, that's what 4 low is for.

As for Camaro racing, I think I could beat them every time, off road, of course.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tight_wad
I would imagine that the motor and gearing is more of a marketing thing. They have designed these with the ability to sell to the average Mr/Mrs Doe, your mini van, crossover and suv buyers. People that will never be doing any mod's to it.
I believe it's more to do with the US government-mandated mileage targets that are set for manufacturers.

In order to compensate for the gas-guzzling Hemi-equipped vehicles in the Chrysler fleet, they need to squeeze the most mileage out of their volume sellers to achieve their CAFE targets. Since the Wrangler is a high-volume seller for Chrysler, (and is also a bit of a gas hog due to it's near-vertical windshield and brick-like shape), they throw in tall but slightly more fuel-efficient 3.21 ratios in the X/Sport/Sahara 6-speeds (3.73s for the autos) as the majority of Wranglers sold are these variants. They can then afford to sacrifice a little mileage in their overall usage calculations for the entire fleet by giving the lower-volume selling Rubicons the 4.10s.

If Chrysler didn't offer the Hemi in any of it's vehicles, the Wrangler Sports would probably come with 4.10s as stock for the 6-speeds, 4.56s for the autos, & 4.88s for the Rubis.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

You are probably correct, JKlad.

Well, I can't imagine buying a Wrangler (or a CJ, YJ, TJ, etc.) and leaving it stock anyway. These vehicles just beg to be modded, IMO. Your pocketbook (and/or your wife) is the limit.

If all I was going to do was leave it stock, I would never buy a Wrangler. They are uncomfortable (compared to other vehicles in the same price range), underpowered, get bad gas mileage, and noisy. I love 'em.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by srt8ftw
i love my jeep, but i despise its engine. the 3.8 is pathetic, i get the shittiest mpg and have no power????? on the road i dont have to many complaints besides the mileage. my previous car was a jeep srt8 with the 6.1 hemi but for some reason i get worse milage with my 1000 pound lighter wrangler equipped with an engine almost half the size with half the power??? its retarded. on the beach with my 35's in 4hi i can barely fucking move from a start its actually pretty embarrassing. jeepers with the auto i dont know how u do it. its even worse that u cant do shit to it to give u any noticeable gains your just stuck with it as it is. guess ima just wait till the day that i can put a real engine in my 40k jeep. wtf jeep idk what u were thinking
What does a srt8 jeep non off road have anything to do with a off road vehicle?
Take the srt8 on the beach, with all the extra power.Oh wait you can't.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

I don't really hate this engine. I'm sure It can be improved
Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Newbie

yeah, I don't get how Jeep can sell a car in 2011 for almost 40k that offers a 3.8L that produces only 202hp and gets about 16mpg. As long as we keep buyin em.... i guess they're gonna keep sellin em!
Old 08-13-2011, 09:26 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Brashanic
I don't really hate this engine. I'm sure It can be improved
I'm sure your right!

Quick Reply: i cant stand this engine