Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

i cant stand this engine

Old 08-12-2011, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What gears are you running? If you have 35's and stock gears, There goes your power.. I have the V-6 in my 07 rubi and 33's and I get 18 to 20 mpg. I love the motor.
I've driven the Oregon Dunes for many years and love it. Put your foot in it and go like hell. Course I run Paddles too.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The portion of the traction control that applies the brake to the spinning wheel, (commonly called "brake lock differential"), is still active when the ESP is in "OFF" and "Partial OFF".
Old 08-12-2011, 07:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FrankCastle01
The Avenger supercharger place is actually pretty close to my house so I went there to see what a super charger would run me and they must have had a gas leak or left a jeep running inside the bay too long cause he said 5 grand total. The actually garage is 500 ft from a decent titty-club so Im assuming that price includes your four hour wait in the boom boom room while they install it.
Hahahha that's great!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

She's got plenty of power in 4lo. I suggest using it more often
Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did the ESP mod found in the write up section adding a switch to just deactivate it. Then you can do donuts in the sand and snow without the JK wanting to fight you!
Old 08-12-2011, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by srt8ftw
i love my jeep, but i despise its engine. the 3.8 is pathetic, i get the shittiest mpg and have no power????? on the road i dont have to many complaints besides the mileage. my previous car was a jeep srt8 with the 6.1 hemi but for some reason i get worse milage with my 1000 pound lighter wrangler equipped with an engine almost half the size with half the power??? its retarded. on the beach with my 35's in 4hi i can barely fucking move from a start its actually pretty embarrassing. jeepers with the auto i dont know how u do it. its even worse that u cant do shit to it to give u any noticeable gains your just stuck with it as it is. guess ima just wait till the day that i can put a real engine in my 40k jeep. wtf jeep idk what u were thinking
Sounds like you need some 5.13's
Old 08-12-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
This video demonstrates the true power between stock and supercharged - you shift at 3500 because that peak torque and is the best place to shift... ]
Cool. I knew it felt good at that RPM.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:07 AM
JK Newbie

I have found that shifting into 4lo from a stop is best. either from 2hi or 4hi put the clutch in and shifter in middle (not in a gear) auto's just put it in N and then pull on the 4lo lever should slide right in almost no effort at all usually. if it does not put the tranny in the opposite direction you were going so if you were going forwards pop it in R then back to N then try it again works every time NO NOISE/GRINDING.

X2 on Disable ESP on sand with it on might as well get out and walk. lol
Old 08-12-2011, 09:09 AM
JK Newbie

I save a ton of gas when I watch my rpm's. I don't let it get above 2500 if I can help it and of makes a big difference on my wallet.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just glad to see others who feel the motor is fine.

I don't think they really had a lot of choices when picking the motor for this, its not uncommon to see an older Chrysler minivan with hundreds of thousands of miles on it, and you know darn well Jeep had to contend with the reliability of the 4.0. The pentastar could be a good motor, but its not seasoned, there is no proof it will hold up to being beat on.

Quick Reply: i cant stand this engine