Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

i cant stand this engine

Old 08-11-2011, 11:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I rev mine up to 3500RPM. It seems to like high RPMs. I also drive around town without the AC on but I like the heat. Not all do.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cyberfalco
I rev mine up to 3500RPM. It seems to like high RPMs. I also drive around town without the AC on but I like the heat. Not all do.
This video demonstrates the true power between stock and supercharged - you shift at 3500 because that peak torque and is the best place to shift...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBIfMc13Kts&feature=related
Old 08-11-2011, 02:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cybersymes

power on the road is fine for me too...
it's a brick...not a sportscar...

i have 32's and 4.10's... and an auto ...
i just keep it out of OD on the road... no worries...

offroad and beach are both fine in 4low...never a problem.
Lol most people on here get it! I live in the mountains and even the city is really hilly. Still no complaints.
Old 08-11-2011, 02:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKlad
I run mine on sand all the time without issues in 4-High, but the most important question is; are you disabling your ESP with the 5-second button press proceedure? If the ESP is on then the computer fights the wheelspin you need in sand to maintain momentum & causes you to get bogged down.
Can you explain this procedure? I never heard of it...
Old 08-11-2011, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm satisfied with the 3.8, I'm in a Jeep not a race car, if someone doesn't like me accelerating slowly they can go around.

I owned an XJ with a 4.0 for many years, that wasn't the speed demon either. I haven't had the chance to get away anywhere to get my JK on a trail, but on the road it feels pretty similar to me.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

This isn't a cheap hobby? And just slapping some tires on there isn't enough. It's not the way it works.

It's all cause and effect.

Cause = add bigger tires without changing gears and reprogramming the computer.
Effect = performance suffers.

You need to:

Change your GEARS!

Buy a Superchips or equivalent.

And use 4lo when off roading! That's what it's there for.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

As other have said, it's not a rocket but has more power than you think if you drive it right. I'm running 35s on 3.10s till the 4.88s go in next week and it's sluggish but still capable of keeping with flow on the road, with almost no mileage loss at all. Programmer will help as well.

I'm not gunna tell you what to do with you vehicle tho
Old 08-12-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Shell

3MPG? Yeah sure it did.
Lol......x2
Old 08-12-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is a stock sport manual with 3.73s and the towing package and the little itty bitty tires (for now). It is by no means a rocket but it does the job on the highway. I drove it through the mountains of WV this past weekend and some hills I had to take it out of 6th gear but other than that it does pretty well for a brick. Even running 5th gear 70-75 mph at about 3K rpms I got 20mpg between fillups.

But top down, doors off more than makes up for it.

When I feel the need for speed I drive my Mustang.

Last edited by htweelz; 08-12-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NJ*Spartan
Can you explain this procedure? I never heard of it...
Sure. When you just press the ESP button momentarily in 2 or 4-high, the dash light will stay lit however it only disables certain portions of the ESP/ABS/EBD/Traction control system. When you shift into 4-low the system automatically disables pretty much anything except for the ABS & EBD without having to press anything & the chime will sound the the dash light illuminate when you shift the transfer lever into low.

In 4-high however, if you press the ESP button when stationary & hold it down, after about 5 seconds you will hear a chime and the dash light will stay lit & you now have disabled the traction control program, meaning that you can break traction & spin one or more wheels faster than the others as long as you keep road-speed below about 30MPH (if you exceed this speed the computer will reactivate the traction control until you slow down again below 30); the 5 second press needs to be repeated every time the JK is restarted after shutting off the ignition. There is a way to turn it off permanently involving a complicated button press, ignition-key turning & steering wheel song 'n dance

Normally the moment the computer detects one or more wheels travelling faster than the others (indicating wheelspin) it will either apply the brakes to the spinning wheel to slow it down, cut engine power to the driving axles, or a combination of the two. In soft sand (& also mud) it is often necessary to break traction & spin the wheels in other to maintain momentum & keep moving, however with the traction control active the computer fights this wheelspin, resulting in that "bogged down" feeling where you're flooring the gas but you slow down & engine power drops off noticably, giving the feeling that the motor is powerless & you've somehow become stuck in the sand/mud. The first time I ever took the JK in the sand it almost drove me mad (until I did some later research & discovered the traction control disable procedure) as I would be cruising along fine in a straight line but as soon as I tried to turn (and the wheels would break traction in the soft, dry sand) the Jeep would rapidly brake to a halt & I'd lose all engine power.

Last edited by JKlad; 08-12-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Quick Reply: i cant stand this engine