Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

i cant stand this engine

Old 08-15-2011, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pcgizzmo
You guys are crazy. I drive a 47,000 dollar Tahoe that I think is slow and clunky with a V8.

A jeep which I'll be trading for is cheap compared to that and I'm willing to bet just as quick if not quicker.
They do not start out too bad stock (for mostly sane people), but modding=weight gain. Most the stuff you add is heavy steel.

And my wifes old 99 Tahoe with the 5.7 Vortech is faster than my 2 door stock JK was by a long shot.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-15-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am happy to let everyone else pass me. I personally have had plenty of fast cars. But never more fun than creepy crawlin' in my Jeep. It is not a race car and I don't want it to be.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ECHO
Any buying a JK and wanting speed, should have bought something else
With all due respect. No!

I love the damn thing.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

i have the 4.10's and no i havnt regeared yet. i turn esp off when on the beach. i never said that i that the one road power was unbearable., its fine on the street. i test drove 4 different jeeps but never had the opportunity to take it off road were the real power problems are in my mind. i mentioned my old srt8 with the 6.1 because it had waaaayy more horsepower in a heavier car the was by no means arrow dynamic. if we had the 5.7 or even the 6.1 we would be getting practically the same gas mileage. i love my jeep and have no intention of selling so all you who are saying just cause i dislike the engine i should get the fuck out of here and "just sell it" we all love our jeeps why push the jeepers who just wish they had a bit more power away.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 PM
JK Junkie

me like most hate the motor. but you know! with all the weight that i'm pushing around. which is probably more than most! I have no problems driving on the street or rocks( i'm sure no one is complaining about the JKs in 4LO)

I have just recently completed a car event with super cars Ferraris, lambos you name it!! I was in my JK and was able to keep it at 100MPH pushing 40" Toyos on one ton axles. It takes time to get there but hey it can be done. and i'm sure will be a lot quicker on smaller setups.

I do hate Autos! mine is a stick

I have a Dynomax exhaust, 5:38s XDI intake Diablo chipped and it's okay! like I said it's not a bullet and it doesn't like to start going. in some cases, I would have to ride the clutch to get it to go without stalling it.

I do plan on a big motor swap. just waiting to have the companies figure out the cooling part as almost everyone I know that has a Hemi powered Jeep is overheating or at least running on the hot side!

I'm not willing to spend money on more problems!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Ohh I love what you have to your Jeep as well.. but; did you buy your Jeep for the intended purpose of Speed?
Oh heck no. And I still don't rocket around in the thing (I would get hurt eventually).

I bought it because it was a Wrangler, kind of like buying the American version of the Swiss army knife with wheels.

I was just ribbing you, I understand exactly what your saying.

Last edited by Yankee; 08-15-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by srt8ftw
i have the 4.10's and no i havnt regeared yet. i turn esp off when on the beach. i never said that i that the one road power was unbearable., its fine on the street. i test drove 4 different jeeps but never had the opportunity to take it off road were the real power problems are in my mind. i mentioned my old srt8 with the 6.1 because it had waaaayy more horsepower in a heavier car the was by no means arrow dynamic. if we had the 5.7 or even the 6.1 we would be getting practically the same gas mileage. i love my jeep and have no intention of selling so all you who are saying just cause i dislike the engine i should get the fuck out of here and "just sell it" we all love our jeeps why push the jeepers who just wish they had a bit more power away.
Don't take it personal. Any thread with such a title will start lively debate.

Just enjoy yourself!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

That should be your signiture right there..
LoL, got it.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
JK Freak

This little engine?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4023607654.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	196973  
Old 08-16-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My new new Ferarri 458 Italia is absolutely terrible offroad! Even on dirt roads the ride is harsh & it bottoms out on only minor potholes, & forget the beach let alone the rocks. Offroad you cant even use a quarter of the motor's power as you'll break traction & slide into a tree or boulder, or even if you gently massage the throttle and manage to hit a decent speed you'll destroy the suspension on the first small pothole or rock you drive over. Waterfording, forget it; I was attempting to cross a stream hardly 12" deep & the water was more than half way up the doors FFS!

Yeah, I know this car is no Jeep Wrangler but still, what a POS! What the hell was Ferrari thinking when they designed this thing? Even my old '95 Ford Crown Victoria ex-taxi leaves this 458 POS for dead offroad! Here's a picture of my rig, below:

Click image for larger version

Name:	458.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	6.1 KB
ID:	197232

Now, imagine the responses you'd get if you posted the above on a Ferarri forum; the polite version would be something along the lines of "the Ferarri 458 Italia is a thoroughbred supercar, designed for high-speed driving on paved roads and race tracks; although it may be able to be driven on graded dirt and gravel roads when absolutely necessary it doesn't really do this very well as this is not what it was designed for; it's not a 4X4 after all. Are you insane?"

Yet the same sort of thing in reverse is repeated time after time, again & again, here on this and other forums.

It seems that many people either forget, or are not aware of, the following important fact: The Jeep Wrangler was designed as a hard-core off-road vehicle (heavy ladder frame with plate steel skidplates attached, tube steel roll-cage, solid axles & coil springs for maximum wheel articulation, high ground clearance and the ability to fit 33" MTR tyres without any modifications, breather tubes for the diffs/tranny/transfer case, low range cable-operated transfer case, removable roof & doors/foldable windshield, diff lockers & electronic swaybar disconnects on the Rubicons, etc). So it's not an SUV or even a regular 4X4; it is a hard-core offroad vehicle. Having said this, the JK Wrangler has all the regulatory requirements such as tail lights, bumpers, mirrors, etc that allows it to be also legally driven on-road (and even a few creature comforts commonly found on road cars such as power windows and aircon) and it performs this task reasonably well considering its intended purpose as an off-road vehicle.

Yes, due to it's weight, high road-clearance and extremely un-aerodynamic shape the Wrangler is not particularly responsive at highway speeds and generally gets poor performance and mileage compared to road cars & SUVs with motors of similar design & capacity. It's ride can be harsh, it's handling truck-like, it's soft-top/hard-top prone to leaks. But many people forget the simple fact that this is not a road car/SUV/Pick-up truck and cannot be expected to perform anywhere near as well one of these vehicles on-road, let alone a sports car. I am yet to read one complaint here or anywhere else that the much maligned 3.8L V6 doesn't have enough power (even on hugely-modified, armored, 40" tyred monsters) to climb the steepest grades and make it over the highest rocks (with the appropriate gearing even YJs with low output, carburetted 4-cylinder gas motors are unstoppable offroad).

Since I am yet to hear from anyone who has driven a bone-stock predecessor to the JK (CJ/YJ/TJ) saying they were anywhere nearly as capable as a stock JK Wrangler (2-door) on-road (going down the highway at 70 MPH in a CJ7 is like being in a wild west-era wagon with a tent tied down on top) or offroad, I suspect that too many people (particularly since the introduction of the roomier, more family-friendly Unlimited opened up Wrangler ownership to the masses) bought a Wrangler for the wrong reasons, just like someone who bought a Ferarri 458 and lives down the end of a 40-mile dirt road did.

Last edited by JKlad; 08-16-2011 at 06:16 AM.

Quick Reply: i cant stand this engine