Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

i cant stand this engine

Old 08-10-2011, 07:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry i cant stand this engine

i love my jeep, but i despise its engine. the 3.8 is pathetic, i get the shittiest mpg and have no power????? on the road i dont have to many complaints besides the mileage. my previous car was a jeep srt8 with the 6.1 hemi but for some reason i get worse milage with my 1000 pound lighter wrangler equipped with an engine almost half the size with half the power??? its retarded. on the beach with my 35's in 4hi i can barely fucking move from a start its actually pretty embarrassing. jeepers with the auto i dont know how u do it. its even worse that u cant do shit to it to give u any noticeable gains your just stuck with it as it is. guess ima just wait till the day that i can put a real engine in my 40k jeep. wtf jeep idk what u were thinking
Old 08-10-2011, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't know what to say, but your are just preaching to the choir.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

I haven't done any sand. Is there a reason you wouldn't go into 4lo?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

hahaha im totally preaching to the chore sorry. i thought u wernt supposed to cruise in 4 lo so i usally leave it alone unless stuck or pulling someone out. why is it so rough switching to 4 lo btw. its like i have to give it sum gas in order to switch into it and sumtimes it grinds. what am i doing wrong?
Old 08-10-2011, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

MPG has alot to deal with aerodynamics. Last time I checked, the Wrangler has been a brick and a shoebox on wheels since it was created. Wind resistance will cause that motor to suck gas no matter what engine or vehicle you have. The GC SRT8 does have better aerodynamics because it was built for speed. You are used to double the power and torque. Alot of power and torque from the 3.8L is lost by time it gets to the ground. The 35 inch tires is a reason for the loss of power and torque. Sure, i dislike the choice of motor, but you can always do a RIPP supercharger and get some power back, or engine swap. Or go back to a GC SRT8.

I found its really easy to go into 4lo by get a small rolling start in 1st gear, put it back into neutral, then hold the clutch down, shift into 4hi, neutral, then 4lo while rolling at 5mph or less. Goes in very easy. Then 4lo you just put it in 1st and not even worry about touching the clutch.

Last edited by Red-Dirt; 08-10-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

yea that i was i usally do but when ure stuck it is eaiser said then done it seems. what is the neutral there for anyway just out of curiousity. i dont want to get away from my jeep i just felt like ranting about the engine.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by srt8ftw
yea that i was i usally do but when ure stuck it is eaiser said then done it seems. what is the neutral there for anyway just out of curiousity. i dont want to get away from my jeep i just felt like ranting about the engine.
Oh, yeah, when you are already in 4hi and not moving, getting it into 4lo is stupid tough for no reason. I have no advice on that cause i just try until it finally goes into 4lo. Feels like im going to break it. I have no clue what the neutral is for on the transfer case...maybe just so you accidentally go into 4lo thinking you are in 4hi. I hear you on MPG though, i came from a 2008 Civic coupe, i could drive the hell out of it and still get 300 miles to 11.5 gallons of gas. So it was a big change. But the Civic was so aerodynamic. Could have it at 100+ and not even feel the wind. But the Jeep is something i could never give up even though the engine is a hand-me-down through chrysler.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

The t-case neutral is for flat towing the JK.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's best to transfer when rolling, really tough in sand... I think neutral is for towing behind the rv
Old 08-10-2011, 08:43 PM
JK Newbie

just a thought.. whats your gear ratios in your axles? higher gearing equals more power, to an extent

Quick Reply: i cant stand this engine