Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

I Can't lock my Jeep

Old 01-23-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Can't lock my Jeep

I've got a 2010 Unlimited. I would say, about 60% of the time, when I turn it off and take the key out, and open the door, it goes ding ding ding(as if my lights were on, or the key was in the ignition). Since it does this, I can not lock the doors with my key fob, or with the lock button on the door. The only way to lock it is to manually push the lock on every door that is connected to the handle. This is a very troublesome problem and would like to ask if any of you guys have any idea what it might be that is causing this.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exactly why I am glad I have half doors That is very odd though, just started happening out of the blue???
Old 01-23-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, out of the blue. I had it for a few months and one day it just started doing it. It only does it about 60% of the time though. It always happens when I would really like to lock my doors, like at the mall or in the city. lol
Old 01-24-2011, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have a code reader? If so, are you getting any codes? It could be something with one of the sensors, or an electrical problem. Might want to take it to the dealership and have them take a look.

I had a slightly different problem with the ABS and ESP lights and coming on in my Jeep while driving in dry conditions. I took it into the dealership, they ran it through with their starscan tool, and found it was a pinched wire - so that's why it was happening intermittently. They replaced it free of charge under the warranty.

You may have a pinched wire like this too. I'd take it in and let them check it out.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:00 AM
JK Freak

It sounds to me as if the mechanism that senses the key is in the steering column is sticking. Either take it back to the dealer or you could spray some graphite into it. If it is mechanically sticking this should solve the issue.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Or spray your key with some WD-40 to help clean/lube it up.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yay for manual locks
Old 01-24-2011, 07:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Did you check for a loose connection at the door wiring harness? Maybe disconnecting and reconnecting could re-seat it and resolve the issue?

Of course there's the ole' disconnect the battery for 20 minutes to force a computer reboot to see if it might be a glitch.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Freak

yup, try what phantomandy said - disconnect positive end of battery for a bit, go get a cup of coffee, and reattach. If this works, then you're good to go. (Believe me, this actually fixes a few things)

If not, I would tend to think that there is something with the key switch - I like the graphite or wd-40 idea... if its still under warranty, I'd just have them check that out... maybe you'll be getting a new key switch! (But try the battery trick first)
Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

This is why I got a plain Jane X, no power options to breakdown.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Quick Reply: I Can't lock my Jeep