Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hyrdolocked my Engine!!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by A/C Guy
If you have a stock intake and are still under warranty, I would put the plugs back in and tow it to the dealer. Let them diagnose the problem, you might get a free engine. Obviously, I wouldn't mention the 24" waterhole, let them try to figure it out.
I couldn't have said it better. Let them do their job. You may can get out of an insurance claim.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd take the insurance claim and apply that money to a V8 conversion. The insurance company has to cover your loses if you have a legitimate claim. Jeep did not hydro-lock your motor nor did the dealer, you did and you pay your insurance to cover your ass so it's on them now. Make the most of it and move up to a Hemi.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GeoFishnJK
I'd take the insurance claim and apply that money to a V8 conversion. The insurance company has to cover your loses if you have a legitimate claim. Jeep did not hydro-lock your motor nor did the dealer, you did and you pay your insurance to cover your ass so it's on them now. Make the most of it and move up to a Hemi.
My only disagreement with you is that Jeep designed the intake. It should not have sucked water if the hole was only 24" deep and he has a 4" lift with 35" tires.

Personally, I have a CAI, so I would not blame Jeep if I hydrolocked my engine.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Topher8668
It was about 2' of water.
Two feet of water at 2 MPH should never hydrolock the JK. The stock airbox is way better than that.

Two feet of water at 40 MPH - that's a different story! That will force water into places you can't imagine!

So, what was it? Gently crossing at 2 MPH or trying to hydroplane the whole Jeep??!?
Old 08-31-2009, 03:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Two feet of water at 2 MPH should never hydrolock the JK. The stock airbox is way better than that.

Two feet of water at 40 MPH - that's a different story! That will force water into places you can't imagine!

So, what was it? Gently crossing at 2 MPH or trying to hydroplane the whole Jeep??!?

That's exactly what I was thinking. The owners manual even says it will handle up to 24" water crossings.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have crossed standing water over 32" deep with out problems and running water closer to 30"
Old 08-31-2009, 05:05 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That stock intake horn is in a F'd up place to begin with, seems like a magnet for water.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

If this pile we own can't make it through 2' of water at 2 mph I'm going to trade it on a Prius and take the gamble 2' of water doesn't electrocute me.

I hope you are wrong......really wrong.....
Old 08-31-2009, 05:42 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GeoFishnJK
My new engine was a little over 3800 bucks on Jeep warranty. That's a drop in the bucket for a HEMI conversion. Damn claiming it on insurance. He paid an assload for that Jeep. His insurance might make a premium jump with a claim that big. See if Jeep will warranty it first. That's why you have insurance...to fall back on. If you can get Jeep to warranty it, it will cost you ZERO. If you claim it on your insurance, be prepared to pay your deductible AND possibly higher premiums. To me, the choice would be clear.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Insurance

Having hydrolocked mine, (CAI) my insurance company __ationwid_ wrote it as a compreshensive claim (like when your windshield cracks), not a colision, so my deductable was only $100 and my premiums did not go up.

The fight with Chrysler is not going to be worth it. In their current state they are not just going to hand over a new engine.

The downside with insurance replacement is that if you don't have an OEM Rider (requireing original new parts) your likely to get a low milege engine out of a wreck or fire. Luckily I had the OEM rider, unfortunately Chrysler does not have a 3.8 crate motor and it had to be built by my mechanic. They did a great job though.

Quick Reply: Hyrdolocked my Engine!!!!