Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hyrdolocked my Engine!!!!

Old 08-30-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hyrdolocked my Engine!!!!

I have a four inch suspension lift on 35" tires. This is the first time I have ever taken it out. within the first 10 min. i hit some water and it stalled. The only life it shows is some clicking. Did some research. cleaned out the intake and removed the spark plugs. there was water in what seemed to be 3 of the 6 chambers. I have not tried to manually turn the engine over yet. In fear of making things worse. Still just clicking. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 04:45 PM
JK Super Freak

If the spark plugs are out ... you can't make it any worse ....
Old 08-30-2009, 09:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dmhines
If the spark plugs are out ... you can't make it any worse ....
Haven't tried it on a JK yet, but on my previous Toyotas (4cyl), I would remove all the sparkplugs, spray WD 40 in the sparkplug holes/cylinder walls and crank the engine a couple of times...This would force the water out of the cylinders.....Afterwards I would change my engine oil, oil filter, air filter and sparkplugs....Best of luck...Sorry to hear that....

Old 08-31-2009, 04:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jkrat
Thats why i stay out of deep water,don't want to be that guy,Try and PM JKO7 he got his hydrlocked motor fixed by his insurance co.
Comprehensive insurance should cover it. I had a buddy total out a GS430 after driving through too deep of a puddle because the dealer wanted $18K to put a new motor in his car.

Good luck.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Topher8668
I have a four inch suspension lift on 35" tires. This is the first time I have ever taken it out. within the first 10 min. i hit some water and it stalled. The only life it shows is some clicking. Did some research. cleaned out the intake and removed the spark plugs. there was water in what seemed to be 3 of the 6 chambers. I have not tried to manually turn the engine over yet. In fear of making things worse. Still just clicking. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
How deep was the water?
Old 08-31-2009, 11:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paratus13
How deep was the water?
like dmhines said if the plugs are out, crank it over and pray for no knocking noise. if it won't crank over, getting the water out is the least of your concerns at this moment. did the same to mine at 14k. ended up i needed a short block. the heads are ussually ok as the valves are closed when it hydrolocks. I broke #6 connecting rod. could of got away with just putting in a new con-rod and piston but the rod hit the cylinder wall. one option was to re-sleeve #6 but it was only a couple of dollars more to get a short block so i went with new instead of spending so much on patch job. i sent the heads out anyway just for the peice of mind. also saved alot by doing it myself. got almost 30k and it runs great. Its not how much water you go through its the speed you are travelling. hydrolocked mine in 10" but it was after multiple passes at 40-50kph. with a cold air intake, now that i now better my jeep intake is stock(really miss the sound the cai made) and go as slow as possible. when crawling i've had it just comming in the bottom of the doors without problems. just keep the water line a good 6" bellow the air filter box and you'll be fine
Old 08-31-2009, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by paratus13
How deep was the water?

It was about 2' of water.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:11 PM
JK Newbie

Just talked to the insurance company. They considered it a accident. What a relief. Still dont know what the outcome of the damage is at this point taking it to the dealership now. Wish me luck.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you have a stock intake and are still under warranty, I would put the plugs back in and tow it to the dealer. Let them diagnose the problem, you might get a free engine. Obviously, I wouldn't mention the 24" waterhole, let them try to figure it out.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

is anyone thinking HEMI here????

Quick Reply: Hyrdolocked my Engine!!!!