Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How's that MOPAR touch up paint?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out dr color chip on the web. I've used this on my jeep and its awesome !
Old 05-31-2013, 01:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NLangan

What kinda compound are you guys talking about? Link? Thx
You wanna use a rubbing compound. just go to the car cleaning section of your auto parts store. Depending on how bad the defects are will depend on how strong of a " cut" you will want. If the are bad start with a heavy cutting compound and work your way down to a finishing or polishing compound. what I use is Maguires ultimate compound cuts good to remove defects but the cut brakes down so there's not much need for other compounding. Though its hard to see how bad your defects are I would say use the ultimate compound but you may need a stronger cut. Few dollars and some time might pay off compared to good chunk of change at a body shop.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Do note that this will not fix problems where paint is missing. Will fix Scuffs and blemishes if that soft scratches too but as long as there are not to deep. To see if they are to deep run your finger nail perpendicular to the scratch. if your nail catches in the scratch groove it's too deep. For bugs and other road contamination that collects on the front over time use a clay bar. Also can be found at auto parts store
Old 06-03-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big c
Do note that this will not fix problems where paint is missing. Will fix Scuffs and blemishes if that soft scratches too but as long as there are not to deep. To see if they are to deep run your finger nail perpendicular to the scratch. if your nail catches in the scratch groove it's too deep. For bugs and other road contamination that collects on the front over time use a clay bar. Also can be found at auto parts store
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried everything you mentioned on the grille, the paint is gone though so there's no cleaning that can fix it.
Click image for larger version

Name:	grille chips.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	464717

I'm gonna take it to a body shop for a quote. I don't want to bed line or plasti-dip it. I guess I could scuff it down, order 2 cans of MOPAR paint, spray it, and clearcoat it. Was told to just get some Duplicolor cleat-coat from Lowes.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, everyone!

Last edited by NLangan; 06-03-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NLangan

I guess I could scuff it down, order 2 cans of MOPAR paint, spray it, and clearcoat it. Was told to just get some Duplicolor cleat-coat from Lowes.

Thanks for all the suggestions though, everyone!
It sounds like you are on the right path, but just an FYI for folks. The MOPAR spray paint will NOT work on the painted fenders or grill. The MOPAR paint is a lacquer. It will go on real nice, but with in minutes it will shrivel up like a slinky and look like crap. When you wipe it off, it will take the original paint with it. Good luck man. I had to have a fender painted at the shop. $200.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:56 PM
JK Junkie

Be careful mixing paint and clears of different brands. I went to the paint store and bought enough paint, reducer, and clear to do prolly half of the jeep for $200-300 (I don't recall now) but it was strongly recommended that I go with the same brand clear as the paint.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quick Reply: How's that MOPAR touch up paint?