Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to tell if your tie rod and drag link ends are bad?

Old 10-20-2019, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question How to tell if your tie rod and drag link ends are bad?

I was just inspecting my steering and noticed some vertical movement in my tie rod and drag link ends. There is no side to side movement but as the steering wheel is rocked back and forth I can see some vertical movement. However, there is no vertical movement if I push or pull manually.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Old 10-21-2019, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

Anyone? Everything I've read says to look for side to side motion or movement when you push up by hand. However, it seems to me that there's any movement up and down as you rock the steering wheel that's unacceptable as well since it's play in the system.

Thanks!
Old 10-22-2019, 06:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I've always looked for play with movement by hand. Rotation is normal. But side-to-side or up-down play is not. As far as movement when turning the steering wheel, what caused you to even look for that?
Old 10-22-2019, 10:29 AM
JK Freak

I've been losing on-center feel and having an issue with my drag link adjust coming loose so I went over the steering in detail. All my tie rod ends are original and I have 35" tires and 140,000 miles on the chassis so it's kinda surprising they've lasted this long. The movement was hard to see but they all definitely deflect up as they're loaded. I think any movement is slop so that's likely the issue. Just ordered a Barnes 4WD aluminum tie rod and drag link setup.
Old 10-23-2019, 01:26 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

It might be worth your while to have your alignment checked--just get the numbers, don't pay for a full "4WD" alignment since there's almost nothing they can align. Loss of on-center feel is often the result of a lift, but your profile says only a body lift, which wouldn't affect it. But, bent or worn out parts could be a problem. What you're most concerned with is caster, which isn't adjustable on a stock Jeep. Tie rod, drag link will not affect caster. But both of them are susceptible to bending during aggressive off-road use, so it's not a bad idea to put something stronger in place. With that many miles, I have to ask: When was the last time you replaced your ball joints? If you used OEM or other cheap, "lifetime lubed" ball joints, don't expect to get much more than 40-50,000 miles out of them. If you used higher quality (read: more expensive) BJs, have you been lubing them regularly?

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 10-23-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Oh, ha! Yeah, that modification info is way out of date. The Jeep has a 3.5" AEV lift with their geometry correction brackets and high steer kit. It also has a Dynatrac ProRock 44 front axle (and a bunch of other stuff).

The ball joints are are year old and have no play. They're likely contributing to the center feel issue because they're very tight. I've been waiting for them to loosen up some but I don't think it's happening. I can see the play in the linkage and the on center feel has gotten worse recently. It does not appear to be the steering box. Any play is going to manifest itself on center and be moderated when turning as the joints are loaded.

I'll know more once I install the new tie rod and drag link next week!
The following users liked this post:
Mark Doiron (10-23-2019)
Old 10-24-2019, 03:37 PM
Former Member

Received 142 Likes on 140 Posts

Look at this link and really check out part 2 to help diagnose front end issues.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...92&action=view
Old 10-24-2019, 04:54 PM
JK Freak

He's showing to check the tie rod ends for movement my compressing them with Channel Locks which is a false diagnosis. That's a trick unscrupulous shops use to tell you they're bad when they're not because even a good joint will have some movement when compressed that way,

Anyway, thanks for the link. I just was looking for some feedback on the tie rod end vertical movement as they were loaded and unloaded and it's pretty clear to me now that any movement is unacceptable.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by OpenTrackRacer
He's showing to check the tie rod ends for movement my compressing them with Channel Locks which is a false diagnosis. That's a trick unscrupulous shops use to tell you they're bad when they're not because even a good joint will have some movement when compressed that way,
This is true. Pliers can compress the spring, even in a new joint.

Quick Reply: How to tell if your tie rod and drag link ends are bad?