Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

how to take of manual tranmisson shifter knob

Old 09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to take of manual tranmisson shifter knob

does anyone know how they come off i want to replace mine but have no idea how to take it off
Old 09-13-2010, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by etsam7655
does anyone know how they come off i want to replace mine but have no idea how to take it off
I have never tried to take mine off, but I'd suspect that it would just unscrew like all the rest of them do.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:20 PM
JK Freak

cuz i tried that my friend said usually unscrew to the left and i tried and it wasnt going anywhere so idk and i dont want to make it to get it off
Old 09-13-2010, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

cuz i tried that my friend said usually unscrew to the left and i tried and it wasnt going anywhere so idk and i dont want to make it to get it off
I went out and tried to turn mine off as well. I don't think that is how they come off. I could feel a small amount of movement when I twisted, but then it stopped. Maybe the top half pops off and there is a nut under that. I know I had an old cherokee that had a bad design where it would strip out, maybe Jeep changed the design. I'll look around a bit and see what I can find out.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I found this on another site's postings:
The shift knob is two pieces and it pulls off.

1. Use a screw driver and pry off the bottom cap. It starts right under the rubber grip.

2. Pop that off & slide it down then grab the shifter handle, put it in 4th gear and PUUUUUUULLLLLL.

3. Scream expletives, as appropriate, as you smack yourself in the face with it and you're done!
Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 AM
JK Newbie

Pull as hard as you freaking can.
Its not a screw on knob.
Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah, what he said.

You gently pry off the lower cap and slide it down.
I tried to pull it off with no success.
Take some large vise-grips and place them below the shifter knob, then, without gripping the shifter rod with the vise-grips, use a hammer to hit the vise-grips from below.
This should 'pop' off the shifter knob.....
Old 09-14-2010, 07:18 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pull like a SOB....warning you should wear face protection and remove the Freedom top panels when pulling

Seriously you better wear face protection, because when I pulled I smoked myself in the face. If you happen to avoid your face you will smoke your nuckles on the freedom panels.
Old 09-14-2010, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Just pull like a SOB....warning you should wear face protection and remove the Freedom top panels when pulling

Seriously you better wear face protection, because when I pulled I smoked myself in the face. If you happen to avoid your face you will smoke your nuckles on the freedom panels.
i'm soo tryingt htis when i get home today
Old 09-14-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99

yah, just pull real hard. Or you could cheat and use the visegrip-hammer method.

The transfer case shifter is the same, just pull.

Quick Reply: how to take of manual tranmisson shifter knob