Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to remove decals?

Old 12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonka_yellow

There is stuff called goof off or something it did the job on mine
Not to be a jerk, but do you read other posts? The last 2 before mine listed GOO-GONE....
Old 12-19-2011, 11:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought some of that goo-off or goo-gone shit once ... wasn't much better than WD40. I threw it in the trash...

Gasoline removes the adhesive without the need to rub down on the clear coat. Soak a diaper and wet the adhesive, it will come right off.

again, .02
Old 12-19-2011, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

I use enamel reducer.

You can buy a pint can from O'reilly auto parts or any parts store for about $8. It will remove the adhesive backing and also overspray latex paint (ask me how I know, I may have had to wipe down the wifes entire car with it because of an error in judgement on my part when remodeling the garage, sometimes common sense is best when used fresh)

It is a great wax stripper too, and wont hurt your clear coat. A bottle of it will go miles. It is what your auto detail guy would use if you paid him $100 to do it.

Last edited by trbizwiz; 12-19-2011 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by m998dna
I bought some of that goo-off or goo-gone shit once ... wasn't much better than WD40. I threw it in the trash...

Gasoline removes the adhesive without the need to rub down on the clear coat. Soak a diaper and wet the adhesive, it will come right off.

again, .02
Still makes me a little nervous about using gasoline on the paint. Sure, I've spilled gas on paint before, but I've never done it intentionally or rubbed with it either. I have no doubts it takes it off, but does anyone else think it takes off clear as well???
Old 12-19-2011, 12:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tmork
Still makes me a little nervous about using gasoline on the paint. Sure, I've spilled gas on paint before, but I've never done it intentionally or rubbed with it either. I have no doubts it takes it off, but does anyone else think it takes off clear as well???
Well ... if it makes you feel any better, I can show you multiple photos of my de-badged $50K Grand Cherokee SRT8...

I had no qualms using gas to remove the adhesive on this and many other vehicles I've owned. I've been in the label biz for 35 years and this adhesive is considered removable - unlike the agency controlled labels underneath the hood. Those will self destruct upon removal.

If you don't feel confident, I would use whatever bug-be-gone or agent you think works - it's your paint, not mine.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope. Previous poster is correct. Modern paint and most plastic parts used in the auto industry are fuel resistant.Gasoline is a great solvent. It's better to use another product if it makes you nervous. Any of the above recommended methods work well.
Old 12-19-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Freak

And that's my point, you don't need to rub it into the clear coat... just wet the adhesive and with very light pressure the adhesive will dissolve into the rag. It leaves no residue or traces of etching from chemicals.

Damn, I used to spill gas all over my motorcycle tanks.. even in the old days the paint held up.

Again, use whatever you feel comfortable with.

Old 12-19-2011, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

I debadged my JK on one side so far. The decals came off OK. How do I get the adhesive off without damaging the paint? I started with WD40. That worked OK but taking forever. Is there a better way and product? The Sahara decal only left a little adhesive but the wrangler and unlimited left all of it.
The easiest way is to pour hot hot tap water on the sticker, then peel it slowly off. Did mine to remove the mountain edition sticker, worked like a charm.

Season completely de-badged my sons Touscon, including all the Hyundai emblems that way.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've removed bumper sticker marks from cars in the past with the liquid zippo lighter fluid. It's called Ronsonol lighter fuel. It comes in a yellow bottle. It says right on it that it's excellent for removing labels, tar, and grease and oil stains. It works well on bumper sticker marks and it's pretty cheap.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:10 PM
JK Newbie

Peeled mine off after starting it with my fingernail.

Removed the residue with carb cleaner (that's what I had).

Replaced with this:

Quick Reply: How to remove decals?