Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to remove decals?

Old 12-18-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

goo gone is the best stuff.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OverlandJKU
I removed mine with a heat gun. The small amount of remaining residue I removed with goo-gone...
Heat first then remove then easy off w/Goo gone here.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tmork
I debadged my JK on one side so far. The decals came off OK. How do I get the adhesive off without damaging the paint? I started with WD40. That worked OK but taking forever. Is there a better way and product? The Sahara decal only left a little adhesive but the wrangler and unlimited left all of it.
I've de-badged a lot of vehicles in my time...

Use a hair drier to remove the decal or badge, and plain old gasoline from the lawnmower to remove the thin film of adhesive left on the paint. Just soak a rag in gas and lightly rub in a circle until it dissolves into the rag. After removing the adhesive, spray with water and apply some wax to the clear coat.

Think about it ... the clear coat is formulated to withstand gasoline from the factory. If they didn't, they'd be repainting new vehicles all the time. Gasoline spills frequently on the paint when you remove the nozzle after a fill up.

Using anything else from the garage like a Makita heat gun or other chemicals without knowing exactly what you're doing, could be a potential risk to harm the clear coat...

Old 12-18-2011, 01:50 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GOO-GONE----best stuff to remove any sticker/decal remanence hands down. First use a heat gun to warm up the decal, not melt it. Peel it off. Any sticky residue remove with goo-gone.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone!

My first problem is that I removed the 3 decals in when it was about 40 degrees outside with no heat gun or hair drier. That's why just about all the adhesive was left behind.

I used a space heater to heat up the area then used bug and tar remover. Was quite a chore but it came off. I then washed it and used McGuire's polish and then canuba wax. Looks great now. I will use heat when I do the other side for sure!

Thanks again everyone. Cheers!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:38 AM
JK Newbie

Default Goo Gone

Goo Off or goo gone works real nice, i got it at walmart for like 3 bucks just use a rag on the bottom to stop run off and then use it on the area where the decal was, used it to get the stock stripes off my camaro and i had hardly any residue left.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A little bit of Turtle Wax/Polish or Scratch Remover helps get rid of that "ghosting" outline image from the decal being removed.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't laugh. Try creamy peanut butter.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just parked mine in the sun on a summer day and let them get good and warm. My Sport decals came right off using just my fingernails to get them started. So well in fact I stuck one to a metal cabinet I have in the garage.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmork
I debadged my JK on one side so far. The decals came off OK. How do I get the adhesive off without damaging the paint? I started with WD40. That worked OK but taking forever. Is there a better way and product? The Sahara decal only left a little adhesive but the wrangler and unlimited left all of it.
There is stuff called goof off or something it did the job on mine

Quick Reply: How to remove decals?