Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: How many problems have you had with your Jeep?
None
43.39%
One
21.66%
Two
11.37%
> Two
23.58%
Voters: 1196. You may not vote on this poll

How problematic is your Jeep?

Old 04-04-2008, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problems yet
Old 04-04-2008, 06:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Zero, Nadda, Zip.

Clicks and Knocks come with the territory of owning a Jeep. Couldn't be happier.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hi all,

Jeeper returning to the fold after a three year absence. I have a 4Dr Rubi on order and am grateful for this site and your posts. It would be great however if some of you could post pics of your problem areas. Especially the rust. I'm on the wet side of Washington State, which is not unlike being in the bottom of a salad bowl. But they do not use salt on the roads during winter, do you think that might be a cause of some of the rust problems?

Also, I'm a little worried about the Jeep quality now. My '04 Rubi was great. Never went to the dealer. Even doing a few cross country trips. 5.5 iR.E. long arm (installed by Northridge 4X4) and it drove even better. The only prob was vibration at about 60-70 mph. But that pretty much cleared up with the lift.

But, some of your posts are giving me butterflies.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by skibum
Sorry to hear about your problems. Mine is similarly a PITA. Like you, I always wanted one, but now I'm questioning my decision. Can you tell us what the tranny additive is that your dealer used? My torque converter is also a problem.
I don't know what they used. My dealer "flashed" it a couple of times and I called a new dealer and started to explain the problem. He told me that he can and will replace the torque converter if needed, no problem, but that his experience is that after about 5-6k miles, it will go again, and these repairs are just band-aids. He said a number of Dodge and other make trucks have had this issue and by adjusting the viscosity of the fliud they have been successful at stopping the issues and preventing future damage. The particular Converter in Jeeps are just not ideal for the design and where I live I tend to hit the proper loads for the shudder to occur often due to terrain and speeds. I bet a quick search online with "torque converter" and "additive" or call to a good dealer woudl get you the answer. It really did work, he asked me to let him know immediately if the issue appeared again, and that was 10k miles ago!
Old 04-05-2008, 11:30 AM
JK Newbie

1. Navigation went out- Had dealer replace it. It workd fine now.
2. Hard Top leaks- Had dealer replace it. It still leaks.
3. Soft top leaks- Have not had time to bring it in to get fixed.
4. Wierd clunking comming from steering wheel area. Getting worried about it.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLightning9
I have had 1.5 problems:

1) The clutch was squeaking. I took it in 2 weeks after I drove it off the lot, and they had it for 4 days and then it was fixed and no problems with the clutch since. They dealership even hooked me up with a rental because it had only been 2 weeks.

.5) There is a damn annoying sound comming from the Drivers side B-Pillar whenever I hit any bumps. I thought it was the loose plastic but I secured that and it still makes a noise. I tried adjusting the driver door strike plate and that didnt really help. I am clueless and it is annoying.

It also didnt happen until after I picked it up from the Clutch repair ...

But I do not want to take it back because I dont want them to mess anything else up. I got a coupon for a free oil change from the dealership and I dont even think I will cash that in...

I figured out the pillar noise this morning .. I hear it three times on my way to work hitting a few large pot holes and the thud was there
I opend the rear passanger door ,drivers side and pulled up on it from the bottom and it moved a good 1/4 inch of play in the hinge ... tried all the other doors and so slight play there also but not as much as the passanger drivers side tomorrow i am looking at some teflon or nylon thin washers to put in them as metal on metal will wear and cause rust soon ... ant one else have this??????????
Old 04-05-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Demo-nut
1. Navigation went out- Had dealer replace it. It workd fine now.
2. Hard Top leaks- Had dealer replace it. It still leaks.
3. Soft top leaks- Have not had time to bring it in to get fixed.
4. Wierd clunking comming from steering wheel area. Getting worried about it.
How old? What do you own?
Old 04-05-2008, 05:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrktwatchr
I figured out the pillar noise this morning .. I hear it three times on my way to work hitting a few large pot holes and the thud was there
I opend the rear passanger door ,drivers side and pulled up on it from the bottom and it moved a good 1/4 inch of play in the hinge ... tried all the other doors and so slight play there also but not as much as the passanger drivers side tomorrow i am looking at some teflon or nylon thin washers to put in them as metal on metal will wear and cause rust soon ... ant one else have this??????????

That's an interesting fix. Moving the strike plate unusually works for me but after about a month of wheeling every weekend then It comes back. My local ACE hardware store sells Teflon and nylon washers. I'll have to try it.
Old 04-05-2008, 05:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

1. I've had a squeal that took 6 months to find it ended up being a gap where the throttle body mounts to the engine some RVT took care of that.
2. rusty hinges (current)
3. Brake recall
4. Stall recall (didn't stall on me though)
5. Windsheild header needs replaced sounds like one of the windows is part way down
Old 04-05-2008, 06:30 PM
JK Newbie

Just the G40 recall. Problem free so far. Rubi has about 10k miles.

Quick Reply: How problematic is your Jeep?