Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: How many problems have you had with your Jeep?
None
43.39%
One
21.66%
Two
11.37%
> Two
23.58%
Voters: 1196. You may not vote on this poll

How problematic is your Jeep?

Old 05-28-2009, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Laughingstok
Just wondering if what we see written is a minority simply speaking up more, or the majority..

Please take the poll
Bought '09 Rubi 4 dr mid Feb. On the 6th trip out to Borrego Springs, and into Sheep Canyon, cable to T case became disconnected while in 2 wheel drive. Ranger spotted me driving back. At dealer following Monday, cable was replaced with a new revised version with metal housing incasing rubber grommet. Had a friend experience same with same dealer - service was good, but has me wondering if this will happen again. Anyone else?

Magnaflow muffler
Smittybilt SRC front bumper w/ Hella 500 driving lights
- selling stock front bumper
- researching coil lift kit
Old 05-29-2009, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

bought my JK last summer. Never used 4wd, until just this last winter. We had very icy/snowed roads. And just when I needed the most--- It wouldn't engage!

A brand new vehicle and it already didn't work!!!

Took it in and the dealer popped a new coupler on and PRESTO! It worked.

I read that the design on the 4wd shifter linkage is intentionally made to pop off.

This is to prevent you screwing up your transfer case if you're in 4wd on dry pavement. You could possibly ruin the transfer case and/or get wind-up.

The dealer guessed that a person who test-drove my Jeep before me probably did this by running 4wd on dry pavement and popped it off.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Additionally they should be aware of your early-on rust issues so that the factory, not the dealership, can track the vehicle to make sure it wasn't some kind of switch-a-roo from a flood or storm area.
The Jeeps in South Africa are imported from Austria, so there is some time where it sits on the dock and on a ship. Also, we don't have dealer stocks, so the Jeep is ordered directly from the factory for the customer. Once it gets here, it has get the local underbody treatment. I ended up speaking with the Chrysler SA VP of Customer Relations about this and he agreed to my terms for the repair. Take a look at the before and after pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gbox Propshaft before.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	24924   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gbox Propshaft repaired.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	24925  
Old 06-01-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They all rust like that. MY WJ was the same way and my JK's drive shafts are rusty too. Its because they leave it as raw steel. My spindles are the same way. I like in the south too where there is no salt on the roads.

Its not really an issue, manufacturers have been doing this since way back when and it doesn't really cause any issues.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My e-brake stopped working, had to get a new handle...works sweet now and thats it..
Old 06-01-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'08 Rubi Unlimited new in August 2008. Built 05/08.

1. Doors didn't close consistently, had them tweaked and adjusted.

2. Went under the knife today for the clutch squeak fix.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Keyless entry range was 10 feet. It got fixed on their 3rd try.

Engine would run for 5 seconds after the key was turned off and removed They said they cleared the computer and that every thing was good to go but if the problem persists to come on back.

At this point everything else has been great !!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 06:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have trouble with trees getting into my fenders on tight trails. I have solved it by using a heatgun and putting them back on...after I chop them.

The dent just behind my door is just gonna be called battle damage.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

After 7000 miles in 3 months I selected none on the poll though I guess I could consider the high speed hood wobble an issue. Then again if I was really concerned I would have taken it already.

Seeing the inevitable writing on the wall with Chrysler I intentionally bought a Jeep with minimal electronic toys because 1. It's a Jeep and 2. It's less junk to go south on me. I'll take my odds on a dime a dozen minivan motor, 6 speed and a manual transfer case.

No regrets nor do I expect any.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used to work for Chrysler as a mechanic about 6 years ago, so I am expecting to have a few problems after seeing all the new cars come in for recalls and warranty work. But as of yet nothing ... hope it stays that way

Quick Reply: How problematic is your Jeep?