Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.
View Poll Results: How many problems have you had with your Jeep?
None
43.39%
One
21.66%
Two
11.37%
> Two
23.58%
Voters: 1196. You may not vote on this poll

How problematic is your Jeep?

Old 08-29-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

have had mine for about a year now and the only problem i have is a squeak from the back brake. think a little too much dirt got in there.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

hmmm with the JK alone or with mods that have cause problems???

1. Leaky roof the day I picked it up ... for 7 months.
2. Replaced Drivers U-Joint
3. Replaced Drivers Axle Shaft
4. Leaking Diff. (wouldn't seal after new shaft)
5. New starter 3 times, kept going out
6. Throttle sensor wasn't connected after I got a new engine .. which wasn't a problem and evap canister cracked (from horrible location)
7. New front and rear axles .. from D30 and D35 to D44s, 3.73s and open diffs to 4.10s and lockers

TODAY:
8. ABS light and ESP/BAS light came on
9. Lockers won't engage at all

Hmm I have a rather long list .... but the majority of problems of just factory problems just one.

I must be a monster when I drive.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2008 X Auto

Transmission Seal Leak
Doors Rattling
Clunky Steering Issues
Torque Converter/bad shifting problems
Metal flakes in transmission fluid

Old 08-31-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've had 2 problems:

1. The anti theft module thingy failed twice on me, leaving me stranded needing to be towed both times. I asked them to just bypass it all together since i don't care about that crap but they said they couldn't. The second time they fixed it seems to have been the charm though.

2.Even after repeated atempts to fix it my freedom top still leaks. It seams that during Lenthy or heavy rain, when i brake, water pours in where the freedom tops meet right at the windsheild.

Still very happy with the Jeep and I assure you that even Honda and Toyota don't have perfect records either.

On a side note I put on 1500 miles last week from Green Bay Wi to Nashville plus site seeing. Jeep was excellent on the highway and in the woods to the campsite. Plus i averaged about 21 miles per gallon (calculated,not computer) I didn't do over 70 and was typically less though because i was more concerened about MPG than MPH.

Last edited by ibjeepr; 08-31-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:21 AM
JK Newbie

see my post about the timing cover porosity. Irritating! But at least one of you [so far] has had success in getting it fixed. [knock wood///] also now I get the change oil error [another tsb]

Last edited by chuckmel; 09-03-2008 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:05 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chuckmel
see my post about the timing cover porosity. Irritating! But at least one of you [so far] has had success in getting it fixed. [knock wood///] also now I get the change oil error [another tsb]
I need to chck more often I guess ... mine has been coming on since two oil changes ago! Its annoying! Also with the bas/esp coming on and now my ABS after my last wheelng trip.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:05 AM
JK Freak

I had the normal TSB's done !! If you don't consider the shoddy work performed by the dealer during the TSB's ( leaving bolts out leaving shift boots dangling , breaking starter , breaking passenger door lock so it no longer works with remote) ........ YOU KNOW NORMAL STUPIDITY !!!!!!!!!!!

I have had it in numerous times for the driver and passenger front door clunk !! I finally convinced the service manager to replace the latch mechanism which I found the part #'s on a thread here !!! Passenger side is fixed completely if you don't consider the automatic lock not working anymore ; Driver side and 5 weeks later and the clunk over bumps is now the most annoying squeek and large bumps is the same OLD clunk. If I open the door while driving you can watch the door move up and down almost 1.5 inches . If you remove the door..... the noise goes away COMPLETELY.

Maybe I can convince the state of Louisiana to repave ALL the roads in the state so I can leave my drivers door on without driving me crazy !!!!!!!!!

But ........ Honestly the door is my ONLY problem with the JEEP !!!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:11 AM
JK Freak

I have oil leaking now .... from my transmission I beleive .. was up my jeeps skirt yesterday afternoon .... jacking up the JK .... and there was nice warm fresh oil comin out ...

might have something to do with the damn change oil light .... im gonna see what they say about that!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

25,000 miles.

0 issues
Old 09-05-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

Owned my 2007 (used) for a month and a half. So far:
steering damper replaced (leaking)
random gascap light/engine light when everything tested ok in the evap
steering clunk (still unresolved, and it's not the damper)
and now my rear diff is leaking - back to the dealer AGAIN on Monday

It is by far the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned. I'm hoping that I'm just working out the 'used' bugs and I don't have to plan my life around going to the dealer once/week.

Quick Reply: How problematic is your Jeep?