Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How often to rotate tires?

Old 02-13-2011, 11:36 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I rotate my bfg km2's every time I change my oil. Every 5k. They have lasted over 30k and are very much still alive. I may be doing a little but of overkill with this but wears great and last even longer!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question for those that rotate their own tires. How often do you have the wheels balanced? Is it overkill to have them balanced every time the tires are rotated?

I've always rotated my tires myself, however, I obviously can't balance them.

Perhaps have them balanced every other time?

I put an avg 4300 miles a yr the last 2 years.

I like to do things myself, but for $60 bucks, it may be worth it if I only have it done once a year? I normally take my tires off once a year anyways to take a look inside, but it's more of a pain to bring them somewhere then haul them back and most likely not cheaper. If they have the tires off for a re-balance, they just rotate them.

I'm having them balanced and rotated tomorrow by my local shop because I'm having a vibration in the front and I want to rule a balance out. I'm hoping that solves it.
It's not DW. I saw planman's writeup and the youtube video. That was violent and nowhere near what I have!

I looked at the original slip when the tires were bought. They were put on at 1700 miles. It seems like my tires have about 22k on them.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the owners manual for the 2010 Jeep, page 497, scheduled maintenance 6000 miles or 6 months; change engine oil and engine oil filter and rotate tires. Page 256 of the manual also says " the Engine Oil Change Indicator is duty-cycle based, which means the engine oil change interval may fluctuate dependent upon your personal driving style". With today's fuel injected engines the oil change frequency is considerably increased over the carburated engines which required 3000 mile oil changes. People that make a living selling and changing oil/filters will still advise you to change the oil at 3000. To that I say educate yourself on what the manufacturer recommends for your specific engine.
On another note I have learned something about tire rotation by reading this thread. I always heard that radial tires should not "change direction" once they are on the car, as in switching sides of the car during rotation. The manual does instruct changing direction of rotation. Further poking around on the internet I read about "directional tires and non-directional tires" and the indicators on directional tires showing which way they are supposed to rotate and that they are only moved back to front on the same side of the vehicle. So I guess that reinforces the old saying that "you are never too old to learn".
Old 02-18-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
4300 miles a year?? Wowwwww. I would recommend getting the tires balanced once a year, especially if you feel a little wobble. I know my tires are out of balance right now but the dumb stickey weights suck so I just drive it how it is. I can feel when a weight is off too and I'm sure many others can too. I have found it to be cheaper to take just tires to the shop instead of the vehicle. It also takes less time for obvious reasons.

Next time I'm going to have him take the tires to his shop and drop them off when he's done. He comes to our shop weekly for our fleet tires anyways. I didn't want to inconvenience him, but it's not a problem. I am going to have them balanced once a year. Seems like a no brainer for $60.

Regarding the miles, it's a 2nd vehicle. I basically use it on the weekends, beach, cycling trips, will start using it for dirtbiking days, etc. I basically find excuses to drive it. When it's nice out and I actually have a little free time I take the top off and just go exploring. Can't wait to wear these tires out so I can get me some duratracs! I want to wheel it a bit more. I've played around a bit, mostly in the snow lately, but these aren't good in mud or rocks.

You also have to remember that I live in RI! Everything is close! Say what you want about our little state. We're spoiled
Old 02-18-2011, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Just makes it easier to do it at every oil change. I forget too much
Old 02-18-2011, 03:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ludski
just bought mine with 19000 miles on her. looks like her tires werent rotated ONCE!!!
the back tires lost so much tread! switched em up. and thank god i did. so much better. but now idk if i should use my spare. cause its never been used. and 2 of the tires are nearly bald. almost time for replacement.

I'm no tire pro at all, just throwing some suggestions maybe someone else can chime in on. You may be OK with buying 1 new tire to match your new spare and putting them both up front, and toss out the bald ones. I'm not sure how much wear is too far to mix in with brand new tires....but it's either that or a full set.

19k may be a bit much, but maybe it will be ok? I really don't know. Measure the tread depth and compare it to the spare.

Also, how many miles do you plan to drive? I'm kind of in a similar position.

I have a brand new spare. It's 2-1/2 years old. My tires have 22k, and they're still good.
To me, my tires are past the point of wear and I am not going to rotate the new one in. Worse case, if I ever get a flat, and my spare will throw the other 3 off, I'll buy a new one at that point and use up front.

Warranteed for 60k (I'm thinking 50 realistically) and at 4-5k a year, well, the compound will most likely rot away before I go through them mileage-wise!

I will most likely run these a few more years, switch to the tires I want, then suck it up and throw away a brand new tire. I hate to do, but at $180, its not worth chancing a tire that could fault on you.

Quick Reply: How often to rotate tires?