Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

how much gas dose it hold

Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I just got a new gas tank due to the overfill problem and the dealer put in 14.3 gallons to test it. I am assuming they put in a gallon or so at the dealership to get it to the station, so I am skeptical that my tank holds anything near 19 gallons.. Of course, the dealership could have put in a free 5 gallons, but I am doubtful of this. :P
Old 01-07-2010, 04:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run mine down to the point where I have needed over 18 gallons to fill it, so I KNOW it holds at least that much. I believe the 18.6 number.

Now, about the low fuel light. I've been collecting data for the past week to take to my dealer about my low fuel light. I'm hoping they can adjust it. Mine has also been kicking on with fillups only taking ~13-14 gallons. It USED TO KICK ON AFTER BURNING ~16 GALLONS, but something has changed. Just this morning my light kicked on with 250 miles on the tank. I then drove another 20 miles to get to work. I average about 19.5mpg, so that means I have used ~13 gallons, giving me another 5+ to play with. Its 57 miles for me to get home, so I should be good........but that means I would have traveled almost 100 miles after my idiot light kicked on. Thats just stupid. Like I said, I'm collecting data and plan to continue for the next week or two. When I have some solid repeatable numbers, I'm going to go yap with my dealer about it.

Last edited by OoPEZoO; 01-07-2010 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am curious about this as well, my light comes on about halfway between 1/4 and empty but sometimes it will take 14 gallons to fill and other times it will take 16 0r 17?
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 PM
JK Freak

OK guys......took one for the team today. First off, I'd like to thank Rick. I don't know Rick that well, but he was nice enough to give me a lift the last 1/4 mile to the gas station .

Ran the sucker dry. I'm guessing the fuel pickup is towards the front of the tank? I was heading up a hill and it just died. No sputter, buck, or choke.....just died. Wouldn't even try and fire after I got her stopped on the off ramp (still on the incline of the hill).

I put a little more than 2 gallons of gas in it.......drove ~15 miles to the station by my house and proceeded to fill it with 16.5 gallons. So I would say the 2-doors have about 18.3-18.5 gallons of USABLE gas in the tank.

Light kicked on at 250 miles
drove 68 miles with the light on and ran out of gas at 314 miles. The screwed up thing is, just last week I drove 85 miles with the light on and only put in 16.3 gallons of gas.

Last edited by OoPEZoO; 01-07-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Question fuel gauge

i read this thread yesterday and filled up just above empty today on the gauge not the Lo Fuel flashing and it was 14.5 gallons. is the fuel gauge wrong too?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

When my gas gauge reads just above empty (I mean wondering if I'm gonna make to the gas station just above empty) all I've ever been able to put in the tank is around 14.5 to 15 gallons.. It's been that way since I drove it off the lot. So either I got a smaller tank or the fuel gauge is a little off. I'm betting on the latter.....
Old 01-08-2010, 03:47 AM
JK Freak

I think the fuel gauges are just wonky. For instance........the first ~8 months or so I had my JK, a fillup when the idiot light turned on meant putting in ~16 gallons. Then around Oct-Nov I noticed I was only putting in between 13-14 gallons to fill up after the light turned on. I kind of ignored it, but something has changed and I want to know what. It pisses me off when I stop on my way home from work thinking I'm desparate for gas when I'm really sitting on 5+ gallons and could wait to stop at a different station the next morning. I commute 120 miles per day through 2 states and it makes a big difference in cost ($.10-.25 per gallon) depending on which station I stop at.

As a note......yesterday, when I added the 2+ gallons and drove to the gas station by my house I did something else that makes me raise an eyebrow. I pulled into the station and with whatever amount of gas was in the tank, the needle was just even with the red line. Before I filled up I did the cluster reset/test (hold the trip meter and turn the ignition to ON). The needles and idiot lights all went through all of their motions and checks with everything looking fine. BUT, when the gas needle went back to normal it was now resting a fraction of an inch above the red line. It wasn't much, but definitely a noticable difference. So now it makes me wonder if it recalibrates itself when you do the check, or whether the whole system is just a huge pile of shit . Either way, I'm still going to be keeping a close eye on the whole thing until I figure out whats goig on.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:48 AM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=OoPEZoO;1502784] Ran the sucker dry. I'm guessing the fuel pickup is towards the front of the tank? I was heading up a hill and it just died. No sputter, buck, or choke.....just died. Wouldn't even try and fire after I got her stopped on the off ramp (still on the incline of the hill). QUOTE]

The light comes on to prevent this from happening when you're out in the outback. Keeps people from needing assistance where assistance doesn't exist. If you ran out when the needle hit empty we would all complain about the gauge not having any room for error.

Quick Reply: how much gas dose it hold