Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How much does the Freedom Top weigh?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you walk to the back of the jeep with it on your back...did you jump off or go down some steps?

What is the best way to lift it off. ie front and back or one on each side?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PeterWendy
So you walk to the back of the jeep with it on your back...did you jump off or go down some steps?

What is the best way to lift it off. ie front and back or one on each side?
I jumped down kinda a rough landing but easily managable a small step ladder would def help
Old 05-21-2009, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well that went poorly. Had to grab my neighbor, The back with the glass was just to heavy/awkward for my wife. Shes short and her arms have to be to high to get a good lift.
Once it is down she and I can lift it around though.
Sure felt like more than 80lbs though. probably because the weight is spread out.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bigshow
I do it myself at 6'5" i just crawl in the back and stand up with it on my back this year was actually really funny cause after i lifted it i had to get down from the 6 inch lift on 37 in tires yet to break anything ( me or the jeep) but looking into making one of those lifting kits to hang it in my shed
HAHAHA I did this once, the first time I took it off. Then once i had it on my back and started moving i got to the edge to jump down and was like "Ohhhh S**T, im screwed." I made it down awkwardly but it worked, the next weekend I made a winch lift in my garage.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

when doing it yourself make sure you lift it from the back seat and slide it alittle, just in my opinion makes it easier
Old 05-22-2009, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I posted this question is because my wife and i had a bet going. We were discussing the weight of the rear section only. She said it had to weigh 150 lbs. I said it was more like 80 pounds. Ultimately, we were both wrong, but I made sure she knew my guess was the closest!

I built a lift last summer to take mine off with. I used tow straps to tie the top to the winch on the ceiling. I didn't like that method because it required placing the tow straps over the gaskets on the rear window. I don't want to cause a leak, so now I'm working on an aluminum frame to support the weight of the top. This way, I can tie off to the frame and not the top itself...
Old 05-23-2009, 05:08 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by davidmech21
The reason I posted this question is because my wife and i had a bet going. We were discussing the weight of the rear section only. She said it had to weigh 150 lbs. I said it was more like 80 pounds. Ultimately, we were both wrong, but I made sure she knew my guess was the closest!

I built a lift last summer to take mine off with. I used tow straps to tie the top to the winch on the ceiling. I didn't like that method because it required placing the tow straps over the gaskets on the rear window. I don't want to cause a leak, so now I'm working on an aluminum frame to support the weight of the top. This way, I can tie off to the frame and not the top itself...
X2 , I used a rope today with the three point system, somewhat like the WOL's write up It worked great up to the point of the gasket now that you pointed that out.

I am so ready for the summer
Old 05-23-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by So_Cal_Tay_12
HAHAHA I did this once, the first time I took it off. Then once i had it on my back and started moving i got to the edge to jump down and was like "Ohhhh S**T, im screwed." I made it down awkwardly but it worked, the next weekend I made a winch lift in my garage.
I have no one to help me with taking it off. Unfortunately, all my neighbors are over 60, so there is no way they can help me in any way.

Sooo, I have to do it all myself; all 85 pounds of it
It is a major PITA. I get under it and do a little slanted turtle crawl with it on my back. I will never do that again

After some very painful back problems, I have learned my lesson and decided to build a pulley lift in my garage like So_Cal_Tay_12 did.

Never again, never again
Old 11-19-2009, 10:51 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Bigshow
I do it myself at 6'5" i just crawl in the back and stand up with it on my back this year was actually really funny cause after i lifted it i had to get down from the 6 inch lift on 37 in tires yet to break anything ( me or the jeep) but looking into making one of those lifting kits to hang it in my shed
That is impressive at 6'5"! Just to be able to crouch in the back space.

There is a video on youtube of a guy who I think he says is ~5'8" and sets up a step ladder behind the JK. Walks up in to the back of the JK, lifts it on his shoulders and walks down the ladder.

He claims the top is 100 lbs, so it is not that heavy just really awkward to handle.
Old 11-27-2009, 02:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Nght&Day-jk
not sure, but my answer is too much. i took mine off last weekend and i felt a huge difference it felt like the jeep went on a diet.
Try it with the back seat removed as well; I was drag-racing sports cars at the lights it was so light & responsive (bounced around alot too!).

Quick Reply: How much does the Freedom Top weigh?