Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How long until your soft windows got damaged?

Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was brand new for all of 15 minutes after I bought the Jeep. Drove directly from the dealership to the back of my neighborhood where they are doing construction and got it stuck as hell. Scratched the crap outta the windows with a heavy dose of tree branches and shrubs...
Old 05-27-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think I sneezed once and they scratched....
Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4x4fn
My jeep is just over a year old and I roll my back window up when I put the top down and it is scratched and in rough shape. But its a jeep. It is my DD but also my off road rig, so it is bound to get scratched. Also I can just replace the back window with a new one. The sides are tinted and I just lay them down in the back (4 door) and they seem to be holding up pretty well minus the minor trail scratches....
I have a question about laying your side windows down in the back. I have a 4 door, but usually keep the rear seats folded down. I've been laying my side windows down in the back, but I've noticed them fluttering around from the wind, so I make a point of keeping something on top to weigh them down. Do you have this issue, or are they relatively safe just laying in the back?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have been using a microfibre blanket to wrap the rear window in, and just lay the sucker down on the passenger floor out of harms way, and still have some minor scratches/marks. I don't think you can keep these things perfect no matter what. I roll my sides and I can't find a mark at all. Maybe the rear windows is more sensitive, dunno..
Old 05-28-2009, 09:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geezle
I have a question about laying your side windows down in the back. I have a 4 door, but usually keep the rear seats folded down. I've been laying my side windows down in the back, but I've noticed them fluttering around from the wind, so I make a point of keeping something on top to weigh them down. Do you have this issue, or are they relatively safe just laying in the back?

Invest in the Cloverpatch window bag....best thing for storing windows and you can just place the bag over the softop for your summer trips if you hit a rain shower or 2. Just be sure the windows are cleaned before you roll them up or you will get more scratches.

You can pick these up from Quadratec

http://www.quadratec.com/products/91109_111_07.htm
Old 05-28-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Geezle
Well my rear seats are not usually folded down, so I think that protects the side windows from the wind in the back. They seem fine. I would think you would be all set either way. Either way it is hard to keep the side and rear window looking new. The good news is, if you scratch them you can replace them, remember its a jeep take it out and enjoy it.....

Chris
Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperJK
Mine were damaged when I bought it......it was used.
I got lucky, my JK was used, but the soft top had never been removed from its packaging
Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4x4fn
Either way it is hard to keep the side and rear window looking new. The good news is, if you scratch them you can replace them, remember its a jeep take it out and enjoy it.....

Chris

That about sums it up. I've come to terms with the marks on the rear window, and I don't expect my sides to stay in spectacular shape, though I do need a decent way to store them.

I saw another thread recently where somebody made a simple window container from some 6" PVC and a couple end caps. I think I'm going to do something like this...the only problem is I'm having a tough time finding 6" PVC or ABS...4" seems to be the biggest I can find
Old 05-28-2009, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

I scratched mine on the first tight trail I went on. Scratched my paint on the second trail. They are going to get scratched. End of story.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:39 AM
JK Super Freak

scratched mine the day I got the Jeep... throwing them in the garage will do that

Quick Reply: How long until your soft windows got damaged?