Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How long until your soft windows got damaged?

Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea about 2 days you get over it quick!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 09:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can buy the back window pretty cheap i think. No worries then. When it gets real nasty just buy a new one and slide it into the bottom bar and brand a new again for a few days at least.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

im usually pretty rough with my soft windows.. I roll my rear window up and often just toss the sides in the back of the Jeep... they are tinted.. and they do get scratched up.. i just usually plan on getting a new set every year or year and a half (or a new Jeep).. I used to try and keep every scratch off of those windows but I found even wit hthe storage bag it was inevitable esp if taking them off or putting them on in hot weather.. they are extremely fragile when they get warm.. using a good cleaner on them will get rid of some minor scratces..

the only way I have found to not scratch them is to never put the top down.. and thats just not an option for me...
-Christopher
Old 05-26-2009, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a mark on my rear window the other day from rolling it up and putting the top down. It's almost like the top fabric pressed hard on it somewhere and the heat embedded the fabric's texture into the window plastic. With the top back up, the sun kind of made it smooth again, but it's still there.

I run the soft top all winter here in NY, so with all the salt and snow on it, I eventually have to clean it with something. That scratches it a little bit every time, so I don't really worry about it. It's nice having it perfectly clear, but as long as you can see out of it...

Like someone else said, you can replace all the windows for around $300 I'd guess, so it's not the end of the world if they get scratched up.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I might be in the minority, but I actually don't care about the windows getting scratched up... I take the sides off and crunch them into the floor-area of the backseat (2Dr) and I leave the back window on when I fold the top.

It's a battle you can't win anyway, so why fight it? The way I see it, the scratches are slowly tinting my windows.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:41 PM
JK Newbie

I pretty much gave up after the first 23 miles when i got home from the dealership and failed to put the back window in properly. Slammed the tailgate on it bending the right corner of the tailgate over and busting the plastic side retainer as well as the plastic cover on the tailgate hinge... slammed it again and same result... kinda learned my lesson now.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have three pieces of felt and put it between them. Even when I roll up the back I roll the felt in it.It has been a year and no scratches to speak of.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Bought my top used so the windows already came complete with bonus scratches, so I guess mine were scratched from day 1 (of my ownership of them anyway).
Old 05-27-2009, 03:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

My jeep is just over a year old and I roll my back window up when I put the top down and it is scratched and in rough shape. But its a jeep. It is my DD but also my off road rig, so it is bound to get scratched. Also I can just replace the back window with a new one. The sides are tinted and I just lay them down in the back (4 door) and they seem to be holding up pretty well minus the minor trail scratches....
Old 05-27-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine were damaged when I bought it......it was used.

Quick Reply: How long until your soft windows got damaged?