Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to lock the steering wheel?

Old 06-26-2007, 02:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to lock the steering wheel?

I probably missed something in the manual but it seems like my steering wheel does not have a lock position. I have an auto Sahara Unlimited and have turned the wheel pretty far left and right without key in and no lock. What am I missing?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kb7our
I probably missed something in the manual but it seems like my steering wheel does not have a lock position. I have an auto Sahara Unlimited and have turned the wheel pretty far left and right without key in and no lock. What am I missing?
Probably works the same way as the TJ, so just turn the wheel until you can't turn it anymore but not so far that it's making the please stop trying to turn further sound, and turn off the ignition. The steering wheel should lock.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Can't find steering lock position

Originally Posted by hPOD
Probably works the same way as the TJ, so just turn the wheel until you can't turn it anymore but not so far that it's making the please stop trying to turn further sound, and turn off the ignition. The steering wheel should lock.
How does your steering wheel lock - or does it? I cannot find how mine does and the manual "seems" to indicate it is only offered on manual tranny not the automatic (what I have). So far I cannot get it to lock.

Last edited by kb7our; 07-03-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 08:24 AM
JK Newbie

It says in the manual, the steering wheel lock is only available with the manual transmission. My Auto also does not lock.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

My auto does lock, and off of memory it has to be turned 3/4 of a turn then it locks. I know this for sure because the first time I towed it, I could not figure out how to make sure it was not locked, so I just towed it, after first turn, the wheels stayed turned. Further investigation into the manual and I have to leave the key on to keep it from locking.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nmjk
My auto does lock, and off of memory it has to be turned 3/4 of a turn then it locks. I know this for sure because the first time I towed it, I could not figure out how to make sure it was not locked, so I just towed it, after first turn, the wheels stayed turned. Further investigation into the manual and I have to leave the key on to keep it from locking.
Same here without the towing. I frequently let my girls "drive" it when i push it down the driveway out of the carport versus starting it. Gravity does most of the work and they have fun. The owners manual has something about it I will get mine (If I can find it) in a bit and figure it out.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nmjk

Originally Posted by tha_manual_page_15
STEERING WHEEL LOCK — IF EQUIPPED
Your vehicle may be equipped with a passive steering
wheel lock (manual transmission only).
This lock prevents
steering the vehicle without the ignition key. If the
steering wheel is moved a half turn in either direction
and the key is not in the ignition, the steering wheel will
lock.
To Manually Lock the Steering Wheel
With the engine running, rotate the steering wheel 1/2
revolution from straight ahead position, turn off the
engine and remove the key. Rotate the steering wheel
slightly in both directions until the lock engages.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE STARTING YOUR VEHICLE 15
To Release the Steering Wheel Lock
Insert the key in the ignition and turn the wheel slightly
to the right or left to disengage the lock.
NOTE: If you turned the wheel to the right to engage
the lock, you must turn the wheel slightly to the right to
disengage it. If you turned the wheel to the left to engage
the lock, turn the wheel slightly to the left to disengage it.
Found the information from the online manual here. I am interested in a locking automatic steering wheel, let me know if anyone knows exactly why NMJK over here has one and I don't.

Last edited by black_sahara07; 07-03-2007 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:05 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by black_sahara07
It says in the manual, the steering wheel lock is only available with the manual transmission. My Auto also does not lock.
My auto does not lock, and this hasn't bothered me in the least... in fact, I hadn't even noticed until I read this thread!
Old 07-03-2007, 03:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Sahara Unlimited with a build date of March 2007 with Auto DOES Lock.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:19 PM
goldja

Originally Posted by kb7our
Much to my surprise, I found out from Jeep that some models of 07 Jeeps (I think just some autos) built after some date unspecified, no longer have locking steering wheels.
Since I tow my 07 Grand Cherokee behind my motor home, I was thrilled. I turn off everything and now other than my braking system (Even-Brake) there is no battery drain.

Quick Reply: How to lock the steering wheel?