Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How the heck did this happen?

Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a tie down chain that holds the Jeep to the car hauler was dragged across the bumper cover when removing the Jeep from the truck. Chain damage is VERY common on new vehicles. Being on the inside front edge probably you and the dealership employees just didn't notice it. However, have your service department check the bill of lading, as the dealership employee that signed for the vehicle may have noted the damage and it didn't get replaced before you bought it. If not, you'll play the devil getting them to replace it. Good Luck!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 07JKX
i live on the lake here in GA and during the winter months... the rats come out at night and chew up my bird feeders and eat all the seeds that fall onto the ground and my awning (sp?)... i picked up a CO2 powered Airsoft pistol (450 FPS) and a bottle of those heavy gram BB's ( if you miss, less damage to the house and will not break a window). 50 bucks

Just to let you know... if you hit them broad side... the BB will go in and bounce around. They crawl and strugger for life for about 30 seconds and then give up and die.

OPTION 2:

My dog (pitbull/shepard mix) has caught and killed more than i have... so far, Jarrod 3... Mercy 8

We sometimes hunt together... i shoot them off the deck and she shakes em around a bit.

Either way, you need to kill them all b/c they will begin to destroy more than just you vehicle!
Work on your accuracy, and you don't have to worry about damaging anything but the rodent. Rodents make great target practice; they're small, they move, and if they detect your presence, they're gone in a flash. My rodent killing device is a Crossman single shot target pellet rifle. Aim for the eye, it's more fun and is instant death.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jetsfan28
The rodents seem plausable, agreed. Could you have run over something that somehow either got stuck in the treads or wrapped around the tire, that then hit the bumper? I would imagine this would cause a noticible noise.
i was thinking the same thing.... either that or some rodent mistook your bumper for some food
Old 08-14-2008, 06:32 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that it adds character. you can always tell your friends it happened while you were offroading.

If you are looking for a new bumper...there are alot of people giving them away after an upgrade. Just need to find someone in your area, or pay for shipping. Look in the freebies
Old 08-14-2008, 07:40 AM
JK Newbie

You need a Rodenator.

"http://www.rodenator.com/videos.htm"
Old 08-14-2008, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Cats cure that problem!

Our cats make quick work of any rats... one or two dead rats a month. And the cats do their best work at night while I'm sleeping.
The only downside is cat prints on hood and windshield every morning.... but I've grown to like this "wild paw-print" theme.
Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by capt scotty
I had these marks on my boat doc bumper. It turned out to be RATS. They like chew like that. could this have happened. Careful were you park, they could eat the whole thing overnight.......

maybe your insurance would cover a steel one to protect from future damage...
I'd be thankful those are bumper eating rats and not tire eating rats - sounds like a sign from God that you need a new steel bumper - and possibly a winch to hold it down.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like something was embedded in your tire and hit the rear of the bumper until it fell off. I've seen that happen a few times.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

x2 on the pepper can be put in spray bottle mixed with water. Human hair, urine and soap(bars or shavings). Spray bottle sounds the best to me as the hairy urine smelling bumper might keep everyone away
Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Some sort of rodent chewed thru a wiring harness on another vehicle of mine a couple of years ago. Kill them before they kill your jeep. Start small, a well placed mousetrap/rattrap/ Reserve the Barrett 50 call for later, as a last resort.

Quick Reply: How the heck did this happen?