Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How the heck did this happen?

Old 11-02-2007, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Moth balls do a good job of keeping the critters away. When I put my tractor up for the winter, I put a pie tin full on top of the flywheel. That was after some extensive wire damage. I also hang a moth cake under my grill cover for the winter - had a family of mice move in one year and char broiled them before I noticed.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Your local hardware store should have these cool rat poison "blocks". They are basically a hard peanut butter block (one inch square, about three inches long) laced with poison. Yummy!! The tub contains about 20 of them.
Place it on the bumper and they should go after that. The next morning the block may even be gone.
Keep replacing it for a week and it should solve the issue.
(I had a similar problem with a family of them living in my basement window-well... not any more!)
Old 11-02-2007, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RepressedSince15
Moth balls do a good job of keeping the critters away. When I put my tractor up for the winter, I put a pie tin full on top of the flywheel. That was after some extensive wire damage. I also hang a moth cake under my grill cover for the winter - had a family of mice move in one year and char broiled them before I noticed.
That might be the most environmentally-friendly method. At this point though, I'd worry that he'd just start eating my back bumper then. But its worth remembering that little fact.

I'm starting to come up with ideas like creating a mixture of peanut butter and anti-freeze. But with my luck, he'd turn up his nose to the peanut butter.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had field mice (actually garage mice) nibble on the most unusual things to make a nest. Velcro and plastic. They ended up w/ a nest in my softtop that I had hung up to keep the pests away. I left a box of vanilla wafers in the garage by accident and a week later I found the box empty. I'm still finding those cookies stashed every where.

Finally got humane traps and got rid of them by tempting them w/ peanut butter ritz crackers. The traps are basically plastic wedges w/a gravity door that snaps down. Of course if they are squirrels then you need to place traps under the bumper with the proper bait.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by vaughnJK
I just have to figure out what to rub this thing down with.

I have this same problem all the time
Old 11-02-2007, 07:55 AM
JK Junkie

A friend of mine who's into auto restoration (and has various autos strewn over his property in various states of completion) has an ultra-sonic pest gizmo (repellent)?... not sure exactly what it's called, but I know that it actually works. I've NEVER seen a squirrel, chipmunk, or other critter on his property, and he swears by it - has had it for years, and it consistently works. Maybe worth a shot?
Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vaughnJK
Ok, I finally got a replacement bumper. Thanks Thomastenn. Its all nice and clean, sitting on my living room floor. No more remnants of Kansas. I haven't installed it yet because...

...THE LITTLE BASTARD IS STILL EATING IT!

This morning I came out to defrost the windshield, and noticed more bites in the same general area. I assumed I had it all taken care of, because I laced my parking spot and the grassy area near it with cayenne pepper. And nothing has happened since.

So, what I'd like to do is poison the bumper. Gee that sounds so harsh. I thought about rubbing antifreeze on it, but I'm not sure how long it would last before drying up. And I definitely don't want to taint the already alluring aroma of polyurethane. I don't want to scare this critter away, no. What I'd like to offer him some apple pie-tasting death. I just have to figure out what to rub this thing down with.
Try bitter apple from the pet store or this company makes sprays that last awhile that is supposed to be safe for fruits and veggies in the garden but the critters don't like 'em.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:09 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inajeep
Try bitter apple from the pet store or this company makes sprays that last awhile that is supposed to be safe for fruits and veggies in the garden but the critters don't like 'em.
I wouldn't want to use bitter apple spray smell in my neck of the woods. That is what would lure in the bears. I have already put in a claim 2 years ago for a Grizzly bear....chewed my rear bumper, scratched my paint on the doors (see the claw marks down the doors) and ripped off both my PIAA fog lights off my bull bar and the best was he chewed my plastic mirrors. Best part was when I got back to my truck from doing some Road Surveying in the Field.....the damn Bear was in still in my truck box trying to get into my tool box. Took off pretty quick with a good ole bear banger shooting above his head.

The insurance company was not really buying my story until they had an insurance adjustor come out and look at the truck......He said in his 27 years he has never seen a claim for Grizzly Bear Damage. Total damage was $5700.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Case Closed

Ok. After all this time... no luck... until now. As I was off to lunch today, it dawned on me. (I have more damage today)

First, I have never had any type of problem like this in the past 5-6 years we've owned our home. And for some reason, I assumed it must have been where I parked at night. Thinking that, if it was vandalism, it would happen there...surely not during the daytime. And if it were rodents, they would be out presumably at night feeding, gathering, you know, what rodents do.

Well, I was walking back to the office after some Lion's Choice. Mmmm. And I noticed that I didn't get one of the "good" spots back when I returned, which are near several evergreens, and closer to the entrance. And thats when the gears started turning. So I see two groundsmen talking outside the main doors. I politely interrupted and asked if they had ever had any problems with rodents eating or chewing on their equipment. And one smiled, and said "Not our equipment, but the squirrels and chipmunks sure like to chew on the plastic dumpster and trash lids, theres a can right there, check it out." And sure enough, I walked around the grassy campus, and inspected about 6 cans, all with the exact same bites.

Now to figure out how to remedy the problem. Certainly can't be parking in the "cool" spots anymore.

Last edited by vaughnJK; 11-08-2007 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by benmar2000
I KNEW IT!!! SQUIRRELS!!!!! Tree Rats!!!!!
Hey Ben, at least I feel better! Now to see if my employer is apathetic.

Quick Reply: How the heck did this happen?