Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How the heck did this happen?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You've got to keep us updated on this one! It's like watching CSI!
Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the AEV bumper and it incorporates the OEM airbag crush cans.

Also I have my stock bumper I am selling for $25. It would only be a smart move if you can pick it up. Shipping is a b!tc#!

Last edited by toad; 08-13-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Please refrain from links to third-party sellers
Old 10-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by bodybrdng
Not to hijack the thread. But if you change the bumper you loose airbags?

No, you do NOT lose the airbags.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
...1. The AEV bumper looks nice but if you plan on wheeling your Jeep on the rocks, having a full width bumper is NOT an advantage. In fact, it will prevent you from nosing up your tires up to an obstical and achieving greater approach angles. Also, in addition to the high price, I don't know if anyone has a clue as to when they will be shipping. And last but not least, the crush cans DO NOT activate your air bags and they are only as good as if they are actually hit. In other words, if you hit a tree dead on, they do nothing. Need I say, I personally don't think this feature is even worth noting.
Sorry guys, I didn't mean to mislead. I just read this post and assumed I'd have a tough time with airbags... Just shows my ignorance I'd really like to get it though. But not until I kill myself some ligers.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard tha tif you spread mothballs under where you park your cars it will keep many pests away that chew on the plastic. I park my cars inside though so I have not tried this myself.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:13 AM
JK Freak

From AEV's website: Airbag Safety

The AEV Front Bumper retains the factory crush cans to help prevent low speed deployment of your vehicle's airbag. Crush cans are protected by our durable polyethylene covers.

Last edited by simon; 10-15-2007 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by vaughnJK
Today started out as a crappy Saturday. Headed off to the meat market to get some bbq goods even though the weather is getting pretty chilly here. Got some pork steaks, bacon, and chuck for burgers... As we were walking back to the jeep I noticed this. Passenger front.

Anyone have anything similar happen? I have been starring at it for what seems like hours now and cannot figure it out. I only have 1200 on the rig, and haven't even got it off road yet.

I'm sure it can't be repaired. Maybe its a good idea now to get the aev bumper, although I want my airbags... and since parts is not open today, I cant find a replacement bumper cover price.

that almost looks like someone hit it with a grinder. not rodent teeth. all of the flashing appears to be going forward in the picture, like a grinder wheel heated it and pushed it that way.

Or maybe a cable got pulled up through there forward and away from the Jeep. There wasnt anything hanging on your bumper was there? Rope?, electric chord? Dog chain?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Default questions

Do you have any other pictures, further out?
Have you done any mods to any part of the front end?
Are you sure it wasn't like that when you picked it up?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I can't believe all the mis-information out there right now about airbags, and crush cans. I posted this in another thread....

Originally Posted by csorensen
The airbags will work with any bumper. Don't be fooled into thinking that two stupid pieces of tin that Campbell's should be using have a significant effect on the function of your airbags. Modern airbags are not triggered by anything in the bumper, they are triggered by inertia sensors, which will set the airbags off if your vehicle reaches a threshold change in velocity (deceleration). A plastic cover and a soup can are not going to dampen the deceleration significantly enough to "save" your airbags if you hit something hard enough to trigger your airbags.
Think about the position of the crush cans, they sit directly over the end of the frame rails. There is NO way for any "air" to channel from that location to the location of the airbag sensors. The idea that physical intrusion or impact is what triggers airbags is a leftover from the original airbag designs in the 90's. Airbags are simply not made this way anymore. The crush cans protect your vehicle's frame members, and are to absorb some impact, they do NOTHING for the airbags.

Last edited by csorensen; 10-15-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by csorensen
I can't believe all the mis-information out there right now about airbags, and crush cans. I posted this in another thread....

Think about the position of the crush cans, they sit directly over the end of the frame rails. There is NO way for any "air" to channel from that location to the location of the airbag sensors. The idea that physical intrusion or impact is what triggers airbags is a leftover from the original airbag designs in the 90's. Airbags are simply not made this way anymore. The crush cans protect your vehicle's frame members, and are to absorb some impact, they do NOTHING for the airbags.

I think Sorensen is right on... although I don't think the cans were put up front for those hard collissions... they were put up there to absorb more of the impact in low speed collissions so the air bags actually wouldn't go off during a low speed collission and do more harm than good. I could be wrong on that, but at least that's what I thought was the case.

That being so... I took my cans off and left them off when I went to the AEV bumper... I just couldn't see the benefit versus all the effort involved to cut them out of the old and put them on the new. Plus you'd have to have a pretty straight on collission for the cans to work as designed... and I'm just not the good when I wreck... usually I'm off at an angle

As far as the marks on your bumper... I'm voting for a rodent... That long mark looks like teeth meeting in middle and creating a ridge... plus you said you found more now... So I think you're on the right track... Rodents

Quick Reply: How the heck did this happen?