Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to handle rain?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to handle rain?

Jeeps less than 3 week's old and I'm doing my best to run topless while the weather stays warm. Which begs a newbie question, what's the proper procedure when the weatherman fails you and it rains all over the interior? I ran a quick search on "rain" which wasn't particularly fruitful ...

If I'm actually in the vehicle, do you just 1) Pull over and get the soft top up as fast as possible? Do you bother with the windows? 2) Man up and accept you'll get wet and deal with it when you get home?

If the vehicle's parked and the rain gets it, what's the procedure for cleanup (besides pulling the drain plugs)? Are the electronics in the dash in trouble?

I figured worse case I'll bring a big trash bag to sit on and waterproof my butt.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

I spend all my time driving around doorless and top down so I have been caught driving in the rain a few times. I just pull over asap and throw the soft top up. I also make sure to keep a rain jacket in the jeep just incase along with a towel. Driving in the rain with the doors and windows off doesn't get things to wet on the inside. When I get to where ever it is I am going I make sure to towel off the radio and things like that. When I get back home I make sure to pull the entire carpet out to let it dry in the sun and towel off the floor area as it will be damp from rain that has soaked in.

The only time I really had to take shelter was during a heavy rain storm, the kind that reduced visibility to around 10 feet. Just went from a nice sunshine area to this heavy rain cloud and had to hid out under an overpass and wait 10 minutes till it blew over.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've been caught in all sorts of rain storms between the bike and the Jeep. I've learned a few things along the way.

Usually if its above 60F I also have the doors off too. I am in the process of saving for some marathon seat covers so I keep a roll of contractor trash bags in the back. They wotrk ok but they are better than nothing.

Here are the rules I follow.

1. ALWAYS keep a top with you. Its better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.

2.keep something that will keep you dry. Even of its just an old sweatshirt its better than nothing. Its usually cooler after a storm and you can get hypothermia really fast when wet. I personally carry a sweatshirt for the wife and I and my raingear for my bike at all times. I throw the wife's when she's with me.

3. Put the top up before you need it. Here's where I go wrong. I wait till its too late and end up having to find a bridge or closed bank to pull into.

Other things I do is keep things in waterproof bags. I used to use water resistant but I got sick of drying out everything after every tiny shower. I quit keeping electrical things in the trunk in the back after I submerged my flashlight and charger twice in one week. I pulled the carpets and drainplugs and won't be putting them back in until fall when the doors go back on. I found a cheap roof top carrier that I keep my things in in the back and it says its waterproof but I haven't officially tested it yet. I know it won't stay dry when submerged but I'm pretty sure it will work to keep the rain out even in a downpour. The only other thing I do is enjoy it. Even if I'm soaked and it doesn't look like its going to stop anytime soon. It beats being cramped up in a crappy car.
Old 08-27-2010, 02:07 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

If you have and don proper rain gear, that will keep you dry. While some of the electronics is not specifically designed to be wet, I've never read where anyone had their electronics fail after being rained on. I got rained on hard a couple times--very hard, in fact--but I had the safari top on and no doors. Jeep got flooded, so I pulled the drain plugs. And after the sun came out I pulled everything out (tools, etc) and lifted up the carpet so that it could air out on both sides. I didn't even pull it out all of the way, though that would have made the drying even that much quicker. Don't forget the storage cubbie and jack storage bin. I also have Wet Okoles, which helps when rain comes pouring down.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the good advice. I always have the soft top with me, but was debating hauling the windows around. I just put in a Tuffy security deck so that somewhat shields my trunk area - or perhaps just redirects water in more interesting ways (hasn't been tested in the rain yet).

It sounds like it might not be a bad idea to throw some of the more sensitive tools into a small rubbermaid container or something.

I learned to carry a towel with me after leaving it outside last night with the top down and was covered in dew this morning. Not too bad, but everytime I took a turn it rained on me from the dew on the underside of the roll bars that I missed
Old 08-28-2010, 05:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default last weekend

Had the roof up with out the windows. I was at a function inside while my Jeep was outside in a torential rain storm. It was still raining when I left to drive home 45mins on the hwy.
Got home had a look. Not to bad I was surprised at how little water was actually in the Jeep. I do have a mat cut to size to cover the carpeted area. Just wiped it off. I was pleased.........Until about three days later this smell I could not figure out..All the water that I expected to see when I got home. It was there after all. Under the mat and in the little trunck space. Soaked. Stupid ovesite yes. You mentioned that you have a toughy box. Beware that If you do get caught you may have water collected under it.
No big deal though. Remove top and leave in sun. Drys up in no time. And the smelly sock smell is gone to..
Old 08-28-2010, 06:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've been rained on a handful of times, and a few of those were really bad. My top and doors are off most of the time as long as it's above 60. If the weather looks like it'll be nice for the week, the top hangs in the garage.

I bought a trail cover last year and I love it. http://www.quadratec.com/products/11186_0109_07.htm If I'm at work and it looks like we'll have some spotty showers I just put it on, it only takes a minute or two. After a heavy rain water will pool on the top but there are several ways to drain the water off.
Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine has gone through at least a dozen rainstorms that I can remember, and probably a ton more drizzle showers out in the parking lot that I am not aware of. The horn and radio still work. I've had to pull the plugs with water coming out of the doorsills before.
It has lasted 3 years without problems. Of course, I don't have carpet, and I have vinyl seatcovers. Before those, I had neoprene. Sometimes I can still feel dampness on the original seat fabric.

The only parts suffering are the seatframes have some surface rust, and the soft top frame collects water on the inside, then drips rusty water when up. If you leave the top down it collects water and will mildew as well.
Old 08-29-2010, 01:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by _J__C_
I've been rained on a handful of times, and a few of those were really bad. My top and doors are off most of the time as long as it's above 60. If the weather looks like it'll be nice for the week, the top hangs in the garage.

I bought a trail cover last year and I love it. http://www.quadratec.com/products/11186_0109_07.htm If I'm at work and it looks like we'll have some spotty showers I just put it on, it only takes a minute or two. After a heavy rain water will pool on the top but there are several ways to drain the water off.
I've seen these tops advertised and wondered whether it was worth it. Good to hear from someone whose been there. I especially like the part about storing it in a "stuff sack". My kind of packing ...

I'm starting to research some seat covers as well. Something a little classier than a large plastic contractors trash bag
Old 08-29-2010, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the 4 dr version of that trail cover a couple years ago and its been great. I've seen other threads too comparing it to other brands and it gets great reviews. Its a must for me because I like having the top all the way off and the door frames off too. Now I just have to dodge raindrops only during my commute. Still looking for a quick, easy, and effective way to keep dry while driving topless in the rain. Experimenting with a tarp, but not succeeding yet.

Quick Reply: How to handle rain?