Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How to get scuffs out of fenders...

Old 04-12-2008, 11:07 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to get scuffs out of fenders...

So somebody sideswipped my Jeep in front of my bar last night. The fender got scraped up pretty bad, and the front bumper got folder forward... not so much worried about the bumper as it's being replaced next week, but the fender doesn't look all that pretty. Anyway to get the scuffs out of it?
Old 04-12-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Freak

Just tell people you did it on the trail squeezing through some trees?

Sucks... someone got my bumper a couple weeks ago so I feel your pain.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brando13
So somebody sideswipped my Jeep in front of my bar last night. The fender got scraped up pretty bad, and the front bumper got folder forward... not so much worried about the bumper as it's being replaced next week, but the fender doesn't look all that pretty. Anyway to get the scuffs out of it?
Here's an idea: if your deductible is not too high let your insurance pay for a new fender...
Old 04-12-2008, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Friend of mine ended up with some paint scuffs on his fenders. Not much damage to the fender but lots of paint lodged in those little divits in the fender. He ended up using the scrubby side of a yellow sponge to gently get all the paint he could out and then took a black marker and an oily (black) rag to the rest of it. Scrub a little with the scubby, dab a little with the marker and wipe everything vigerously with the rag to even it all out.

Washed it once he was done and you'd never know. (from more than 2 feet away) I think he even used a sewing pin to pick out some of the paint in the divits. But it depends on how far you want to go. I don't think he spent ore than a couple of hours on it.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:30 PM
JK Freak

Just an idea...You could have them sanded and painted. Either to match the paint or another color.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude....that sucks
how bads the scrape? is there a way you can get a pic of it? Plastic or the painted ones ? ...I'm assuming they're plastic, in which case I don't know of any way to get them out and if you dont want to go the insurance route (cause i know thats expensive) then maybe consider getting 'em painted...my guess is that may be pretty close to your deductable when it's all said and done though, good excuse to save up for some bushwacker's too...either way the situation should never have happened, best of luck
Old 04-13-2008, 07:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they're scraped to the point you can see it, there's pretty much nothing you can do to repair. The bright side is the cost.
I scraped the right rear flair on a stone wall. The wife was pissed, so I had a new flair installed. Total cost for new flair + installation was $58.00 at the dealer.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know that you can get a scrape out of it if it is pretty bad. A picture would help us. Turtle Wax Ice may help if its not too bad. This stuff makes the black really black without looking greasy. At least the plastic fenders are cheap. Did I hear Bushwackers on order?

Last edited by Geeper4x4; 04-13-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

sorry to hear about your fenders. If you do much off roading scratches are going to happen. It gives your jeep character.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by I Drill
sorry to hear about your fenders. If you do much off roading scratches are going to happen. It gives your jeep character.
I know scratches are going to happen, as this is my 6th Jeep now... it's just this is the first one I bought new, and I'd like it to stay newish for atleast the first 6 months of me owning it.

Quick Reply: How to get scuffs out of fenders...