Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How fast have you gotten your JK?

Old 06-09-2014, 12:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bumped it up to 100+ a few times over here on the autobahn, but those are few and far in between. Most of my driving is at around 65-70 though because we are only allowed about 100 gallons a month at $4 a gallon... after that you have to buy on the economy which is over $9 a gallon.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:31 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gregaf3
I have bumped it up to 100+ a few times over here on the autobahn, but those are few and far in between. Most of my driving is at around 65-70 though because we are only allowed about 100 gallons a month at $4 a gallon... after that you have to buy on the economy which is over $9 a gallon.
ouch.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by syn-ack
So...... You've never actually driven a sports car, have ya?
My last 3 cars were 2 Camaros and a wrx so yeah I've driven a few. My jeep isn't a sport I know but it handles like one. I have 100% confidence in my setup driving at high speeds.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jk_sea
My other life is performance cars, and my Jeep just doesn't feel "skookum" after about 75. It's not meant to be run hard, it doesn't like being run hard, I don't feel comfortable running it hard, so my schtick has always been to turn on some classic rock, or some good electronic (quite the playlist, right?) and just relax and enjoy the (slow) ride.
YEP! Foghat..."slow ride....take it easy". Haha.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blue project
My last 3 cars were 2 Camaros and a wrx so yeah I've driven a few. My jeep isn't a sport I know but it handles like one. I have 100% confidence in my setup driving at high speeds.
I have a Camaro now, 2013 2SS/RS. Ordered a Rubicon X, and spent about two hours test driving one again this Saturday. The two handle nothing like each other. I can't imagine your setup is so much different it somehow handles like a sports car, or......... you're just exaggerating a bit.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:14 AM
JK Newbie

My Rubicon is not meant for speed or on-road handling no matter what the marketing dept says... Keep speeds slow on road & do what it's mean to do - wheel it off-road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

I have a Camaro now, 2013 2SS/RS. Ordered a Rubicon X, and spent about two hours test driving one again this Saturday. The two handle nothing like each other. I can't imagine your setup is so much different it somehow handles like a sports car, or......... you're just exaggerating a bit.
Feel free to drive it anytime. After driving sports cars for many years I know the difference. Yes my JK has more body roll but the handle close to the same plus my ride is slightly softer. My setup is the AEV 2.5" lift with geometry brackets. Ask anyone that has it and they will say the same thing. It by far beats the stock JK with the triple rate progressive springs and tuned shocks. The biggest difference was the Fox steering stabilizer.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blue project
Feel free to drive it anytime. After driving sports cars for many years I know the difference. Yes my JK has more body roll but the handle close to the same plus my ride is slightly softer. My setup is the AEV 2.5" lift with geometry brackets. Ask anyone that has it and they will say the same thing. It by far beats the stock JK with the triple rate progressive springs and tuned shocks. The biggest difference was the Fox steering stabilizer.
I think we both know I'm not taking a trip from Florida to Cape Cod just to prove to you what everyone already knows. There is no physical way your 2.5" lifted Jeep with 30"+ size tires is going to handle like a sports car. It may have a decent ride, and it may feel stable at speed, but it will not handle like a sports car.

Also, I won't further muck this thread up arguing about this, so at this point I bow out. We can do that whole agree to disagree thing.

Last edited by syn-ack; 06-09-2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:34 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think we both know I'm not taking a trip from Florida to Cape Cod just to prove to you what everyone already knows. There is no physical way your 2.5" lifted Jeep with 30"+ size tires is going to handle like a sports car. It may have a decent ride, and it may feel stable at speed, but it will not handle like a sports car.

Also, I won't further muck this thread up arguing about this, so at this point I bow out. We can do that whole agree to disagree thing.
Maybe not handle like a sportscar, but my 2.5" AEV takes entrance ramps 90% as fast as my previous sport package Inifniti FX. AEV lifts will handle significantly better than your stock setup. Not that that's what they're for, but it's a cool feature.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by etl330
Maybe not handle like a sportscar, but my 2.5" AEV takes entrance ramps 90% as fast as my previous sport package Inifniti FX. AEV lifts will handle significantly better than your stock setup. Not that that's what they're for, but it's a cool feature.
I don't doubt that, hence why I said it may have a nice ride and feel stable at speed. But you're not going to hit a road course and finish it anywhere near that of a sports car, you're not going to take a 90* turn at the same speed, you're not going to hit the brakes and swerve around a road obstacle like a sports car, you're not going to slalom through cones, etc...

Sure you can have a nice ride, take an on-ramp quick, etc... But there is much more to handling then taking an on-ramp quickly, and comparing that in any way to the capabilities of a sports car, just doesn't work.

Quick Reply: How fast have you gotten your JK?