Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How do you KEEP the JK running FOREVER?

Old 08-15-2011, 05:42 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

Haven't had much feedback on where people's failed engine were made.

It takes some effort to find and read the number; probably beyond their "it's too much effort" threshold.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:56 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just get a car for your daily driver and your Jeep will last forever
Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ This is what I'm planning on doing soon.

Sent from my Transformer TF101.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Use it, but don't abuse it....
Old 08-15-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Haven't had much feedback on where people's failed engine were made.

It takes some effort to find and read the number; probably beyond their "it's too much effort" threshold.
Any tips on getting to the location of were these numbers are, been poking around under the Jeep for a bit, no luck yet....I will find it really want to know were my motor was made. Geewizz guess Jeep wants to 'hide' this from us.

Thanks, I'll keep at it
Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by webejeepin
Any tips on getting to the location of were these numbers are, been poking around under the Jeep for a bit, no luck yet....I will find it really want to know were my motor was made. Geewizz guess Jeep wants to 'hide' this from us.

Thanks, I'll keep at it
Go in from the top, leaning over the driver's side fender. Reach in, behind the head, with a rag that has some type of wet cleaner on it. Wipe the area where the head meets the block, on the back of the engine. The number is just below the head/block parting line. Scrub it well, to get the dirt and grease off the flat surface.
Stick a mirror in there, and with a flashlight, you should be able to see the numbers. It helps to be able to read backwards.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Go in from the top, leaning over the driver's side fender. Reach in, behind the head, with a rag that has some type of wet cleaner on it. Wipe the area where the head meets the block, on the back of the engine. The number is just below the head/block parting line. Scrub it well, to get the dirt and grease off the flat surface.
Stick a mirror in there, and with a flashlight, you should be able to see the numbers. It helps to be able to read backwards.
I found a small mirror (of course I have a nice small one on a telescopic rod AT WORK!!) and I can get south of the valve cover and see a frost plug inthe block...but can't get any lower. The numbers will be stamped right into the block I would assume, that's what I'm looking for. I may need to pick up a telescopic mirror tomorrow to get any lower. Thanks
Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Hey ronjenx,

OK, so I was able to find the last 8 digits of my VIN, it's just south of the frost plug, just as you said.
I have looked and looked for another stap with a S or a T and I be dam to find it. In relation to your VIN, were is your "T" stamped?

Thanks I will look in the AM, the seekos are eating me alive!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by webejeepin
Hey ronjenx,

OK, so I was able to find the last 8 digits of my VIN, it's just south of the frost plug, just as you said.
I have looked and looked for another stap with a S or a T and I be dam to find it. In relation to your VIN, were is your "T" stamped?

Thanks I will look in the AM, the seekos are eating me alive!
On mine, if you could look directly at the face that has the number on it, you would see the engine number, a small space, then the last digits of the VIN, all somewhat in line, from lower left, to upper right.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Well, I'm dissapointed. I have taken another look today, and all I can see is the 8 VIN digits all in a row. Nothing infront, after, bellow or to either side. Looked as far as I physicaly could. No motor code, just last 8 VIN digits. I've cleaned the back many times, nothing....but man can I get to the VIN number quickly now!!

Any chance it would be stamped else were? Would a 'build sheet' tell me if I could request one.

Maybe mine came from Costco.

Dam, really want to find out.

Thanks

Quick Reply: How do you KEEP the JK running FOREVER?