Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How do you KEEP the JK running FOREVER?

Old 11-27-2010, 01:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you KEEP the JK running FOREVER?

Reputation has it the 4.0L is bullet proof. I know. I had a TJ. Not sure if I'm speaking too soon, but we haven't seen just how far the 3.8L can go. Perhaps it's just as good or better or worse than the 4.0L TJ. I don't know.

What I do know is I love my '08 JK and plan to have it as long as that thing will run. I don't have the money now nor do I think I will have the cash to spend anytime soon for a new JK. Luckily it just hit 41K and I want to keep this one.

I consider myself fairly tech-savvy when it comes to basics like changing fluids and suspension components. Once it comes to the engine and its electricals, f*** that.

Question:

1) What are some basic maintenance requirements and/or "should do's" to keep the JK engine, drivetrain, and overall Jeep running as long as it potentially can?

2) What are usually the first things on a Jeep to crap out or begin to wear out that will cause problems for the Jeep?

Any other advice, thoughts, opinions, comments, and tips are very much appreciated.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How do you KEEP the JK running FOREVER?

DON'T drive it keep it in the garage where it can be lonely and miserable for the rest of it's life, NAH
use the heck out of it get your money's worth and keep the stealer ship in business and you broke

So much for today's American engineering
Old 11-27-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what my Wife tells me - Owning a Jeep is a lot like having a Wife/Girlfriend there are a few simple steps to ensure a happy future:

Treat her Good
Encourage Her to go out with Friends – (other Jeep Owners)
Clean Up after her when she is messy - (car wash)
Listen to her, the good and the bad - (engine sounds etc)
If she Demands Fluids get them for her - (oil Changes etc)
If she is Hungry feed her - (fuel)
If her shoes look worn and tattered by her new ones - (tires)
Take her out Often - (on the Town, Trails, and Camping etc)
When it time to go out and play - (play nice, not to hard, not to fast)
And Most of All Buy Her Nice Things !!! (Bumpers, Lights, Etc)

Last edited by gadget799; 11-27-2010 at 03:15 PM.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Synthetic oil
Mopar or Motorcraft oil filters
Flush the coolant system 3-4 years
Flush the brake fluid 3-4 years

I would do at least those things.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not driving a vehicle is just as bad or worse than hot roding one. I got a friend who has a 2010 dodge 2500 and dosent drive it....Wants to keep the miles off it

When I got my Jeep (I bought it new) everyone, including family, told me to find a beater to drive around town. And when winter hit all I heard was "Surly to God your not going to drive that new car in the salt!"

I bought this thing to DRIVE and ENJOY! I bought so I could drive when the roads were bad! Not for me to sit and look at it!

Mine came with the lifetime warranty so Im not really concerned with the motor or transmission, but I am taking precautions, keeping up with the maintenance.

Unfortunately nothing last forever, fact of life. Just use a little common sense and you'll be fine. Oil is the life of a vehicle. If you run your jeep hard, towing, wheeling, anything that strains it for a extended period of time you might want to consider changing it a little earlier.

Most importantly, Have fun and enjoy!
Old 11-27-2010, 03:56 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 171 Likes on 146 Posts

All you have to do is perform the maintenance items listed in your owner's manual.

That right there would be more than most vehicle owners ever want or intend to do.

Then, if your Jeep sh!ts the bed, it won't be because you neglected it.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:03 PM
JK Freak

It's all about keeping it maintenanced! Lubrication! Lubrication! Lubrication!
It all feels better and lasts longer with lube....

Old 11-27-2010, 04:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JKCliff
It's all about keeping it maintenanced! Lubrication! Lubrication! Lubrication!
It all feels better and lasts longer with lube....

Thats What She Said !!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 04:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

There's always time for lubricant!!!!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:49 PM
JK Super Freak

The 3.3L/3.8L family of engines actually have a long history of reliable service in minivans and due to their basic design (iron block, pushrod, 2 valves per cylinder) and actually have a reputation as one of Chrysler's most reliable motors in recent years. Most of the reliability/quality issues with the JK's 3.8L have come about following Chrysler's merger with Daimler, where cost-cutting resulted in engine components being outsourced to external suppliers instead of being manufactured in-house at the Trenton engine plant.

So as others have pointed out, (due to suspicion of inferior-quality bearings, piston rings, con rods, etc) you should be very thorough with maintainance and in particular lubrication; use good quality oil & filters & change them often.

Quick Reply: How do you KEEP the JK running FOREVER?