Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How cold

Old 01-08-2010, 01:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tpm152
If I had to guess the lowest they would read is likely -40 degrees F and C (where the temps are equal). Reason is that is the lowest temp that production vehicles are generally designed to start-up in without things like block and battery heaters

mine has been -45 celsius last year and this year -39 so far.

I quoted this one because if you do not plug in bellow -20 celsius jeep will not start. as a side note my windshield washer reservoir has been replaced twice for cracking in cold weather

Last edited by hiddenprey; 01-08-2010 at 01:32 PM.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Octo
I tend to disagree, windchill is the fact that the wind is removing heat from an object at a rate that makes it seem like it is much colder. If you want evidence that windchill affects vehicles come north and see how many vehicles have winter fronts covering the radiator. The cold air moving through the rad doesn't allow it to warm up and at high way speed that is a huge windchill.
Ottawa? North? LMAO - I lived in Kirkland Lake for 8 years (just spent December there) and lived in Wabush Labrador before that. You want cold? How about leaving your car running at the mall or it won't start when you come out.

I've never had to block the rad on any well-maintained vehicle I've owned that had a properly working thermistat. Now when I lived in a poor farming comunity with old beaters as the norm it was quite common.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CdnJeepDan
F'ing cold. -40C = -45.4 degrees Fahrenheit

I've seen mine down around -38C or so. 'Course that doesn't include windchill.
ummm -40C = -40 F
Old 01-08-2010, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hiddenprey

I quoted this one because if you do not plug in bellow -20 celsius jeep will not start. as a side note my windshield washer reservoir has been replaced twice for cracking in cold weather
Mine started just fine below -20*C every time last month in Kirkland Lake, ON where it was -25 or colder several days.

I don't know where my block heater plug is - if I have one.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by hiddenprey

Oh come on........-20C? What's that....around -4F, and your JK wont start??? Give me a break. Hell we don't even plug in till it's around -10F. In fact last year for some reason my timer came unplugged or something so the block heater wasn't working and I had to leave. If I recall it was -30F and it still started. If your JK won't start at -4F.....you've got a problem.

Last edited by AK4Dave; 01-08-2010 at 11:36 PM.

Quick Reply: How cold