Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

How bad are burnouts?

Old 09-11-2011, 06:14 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How bad are burnouts?

I tried my first burnout ever on dirt today, Reved to 3,000 then dropped the clutch, I smelled tire and clutch afterward the burnout was probably only for 3 seconds. Is this bad for the jeep? I don't plan on doing it again haha. I'm thinking mostly just on the tires and clutch. I was in 2wd with esp off.

Last edited by matt852; 09-12-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Its not bad...just set some money aside for driveline parts, clutch and tires and you'll be just fine.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a high school friend that spooned a very built 283 Chevy into an early 60's CJ. It would actually wheelie in 1st. Very tough on the driveline but showed some serious torque. I don't think you have to worry much with a stock 3.8 though.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:06 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
There are a couple of things you could break- driveshaft pieces, axle shafts, ya know but I have played with burnout in the grass without issues. I wouldn't routinely do them, but every now and again isn't "horrible".

.....and you just posted another thread about an odd noise
yeah haha, it was my first ever and definitely not doing it again.
Old 09-12-2011, 01:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by matt852

yeah haha, it was my first ever and definitely not doing it again.
Sure.......
Old 09-12-2011, 03:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Repo503
Its not bad...just set some money aside for driveline parts, clutch and tires and you'll be just fine.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think on the newer vehicles it is harder to do burnouts. They all have traction control or stability control of some kind that even when turned "off" may not be totally turned off. Plus Jeeps are all about traction and these are underpowered so I wouldn't expect it to do much of a burnout. I've spun on wet roads when turning and getting on it too much. When I want to do burnouts I jump into my Mustang. It has no problems doing them.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

when i was young i did neutral slams,brake holds whatever it took to "burn rubber"
had some nice cars all v8 in the day
now when some one does a burnout i just ask why?
oh to be young again
tho i do have to say when in my jeep i do feel a little less old
66 and still going just a little slow and a lot of downhill
brianj
Old 09-12-2011, 05:12 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't rev and drop the clutch. That would put immense torque stress on the clutch and flywheel.

If you need to do a burnout, do it the right way. Start off in 1st gear, then move forward a little bit, letting go of the clutch. Once the clutch is completely engaged, press on the brake and gas at the same time. It takes some work but that's how drag racers warm up their tires.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
I wouldn't rev and drop the clutch. That would put immense torque stress on the clutch and flywheel.

If you need to do a burnout, do it the right way. Start off in 1st gear, then move forward a little bit, letting go of the clutch. Once the clutch is completely engaged, press on the brake and gas at the same time. It takes some work but that's how drag racers warm up their tires.
That would be a little hard to do with for wheel disc brakes....that is unless he installed a proportioning valve

Quick Reply: How bad are burnouts?