Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hour meter on instrument panel

Old 04-18-2011, 05:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to think of ir as a way to keep track how much tge engine is actually used when not on the road. Ie rock crawlin ,idling in traffic, lettibg vehicles warm up.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used mine to see how long it takes to get to certain places. Otherwise I have no clue what it is used for
Old 04-19-2011, 05:02 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
the next mode says date however its not set correctly any one know about that ? cant seem to change date on there no madder what i push for buttons on steering wheel ????
It's not "date", DTE is distance to empty. The jeep is guessing how much farther you can go based on recent mpg and the remaining volume of fuel.

Originally Posted by keno4x4
My 08 gas has it. Would it not come in to play on how long you run in
4-low . and when to change the lube.?
Its just another tool in the box. But having a tool doesn't mean it get used, or used properly. (I've watched a guy hammer in a nail with a wrench!)

Many engines track run time for maintenance purposes. (Let's hear from some of the aircraft mechanics on the forum!) In the right hands it is more informative than mileage, but by itself it isn't really enough info. That is what is nice about the oil-change light, it computes many more parameters in the duty cycle to determine remaining "oil life." (mileage is practically useless without recognition and understanding how driving style effects the motor oil. Hence all the disagreement about drain intervals)

Unfortunately, it resets each time you reset the mpg. It would be nice if it was independent and if it showed total run time as well.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 AM
JK Newbie

I like all these neat little features...as some one else stated "it another tool in the box"...
Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i use DTE to remind me when to fill up...
i try to always have a minimum of 100 miles in the tank...

kinda like that crazy 'bug-out' thread ... crazy is right ...
Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jiblet

Many engines track run time for maintenance purposes. (Let's hear from some of the aircraft mechanics on the forum!)

Somebody call for an aircraft mechanic?

Hours run are usually the best way to keep track of run time on any machine.

Fifty miles of off road is way different from fifty miles of pavement... you guys already know this.

Five hours of off road would be the equivalent of how many highway miles? Lots. And lots more component wear, too

I'm not super fussy about my machinery but everything I own, pickups, Jeep, Cats, and aircraft, have hour meters. The only things that don't have hour meters are my chainsaws but if I could find some small and rugged enough they have 'em too. I run my oil change intervals and most other maintenance by hours, not miles. I also keep track of my fuel usage by the hour.

I don't advocate this for everybody but if you want to keep better track of what your Jeep, or whatever, is doing and costing you might give it a try.

Hey, if nothing else, it'll give everybody something new to do. And something new to argue about, too.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 PM
JK Newbie

ok so that weird cause my hour meter is on the left w the dte but mine will start back at 0 when it reaches 99.9 not keep going up. and mine will not reset. or is all this just the diesel thing?
Old 04-24-2011, 03:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeepmedic08
...or is all this just the diesel thing?
I think you're right. I have the same speedo as the OP (Australia) so he'll have the hours display on the speedo as well as mileage, temperature, compass, etc. So that hours display on his diesel tachometer is in addition to the time display on the speedo gauge. I certainly don't have that feature on my gas JK's tacho.

My buddy's old Mitsubishi Pajero diesel has an hour meter and when I asked him about it he replied that the mechanics service the turbocharger system on it based on hours, not miles travelled as it's a better indicater of actual usage. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the same with the newer turbo-diesels too (I'm pretty sure I've seen hour meters on most diesel semi-trucks too). I know my outboard motor gets serviced by specified hour intervals, not nautical miles travelled.

Last edited by JKlad; 04-24-2011 at 03:29 AM.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:54 PM
JK Freak

I like mine. When you fill up and it costs $60, it is nice to see that you have been sitting in the car for 13 hours to get there, that makes the per hour cost easily visible. And the cost per hour is low, low, low.

Since the vehicle is keeping track of it anyways for oil, why not make it visible? My complaints go more to the information that is NOT available. I would love to be able to click through oil temp, transmission temp, well........just about all of it.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rickyj
...Since the vehicle is keeping track of it anyways for oil, why not make it visible? My complaints go more to the information that is NOT available. I would love to be able to click through oil temp, transmission temp, well........just about all of it.
I agree.
Check out the threads on Aeroforce interceptor gauges. Though I don't believe total run time is a feature. Would be nice.

Quick Reply: Hour meter on instrument panel