Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hot top

Old 06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot top

I have a 2010 with a hard top and live in las vegas. Today got up to 105 wich is hot but it dose get hotter. I have noticed that the top gets extreamly hot so i hit it with an infrrared laser thermometer and it read 164 at 10am. Any one else notice this and what have you done to help it? I found a hardtop insulation kit in a mag i was wondering if its any good and worth spending 220 bucks on it?
Old 06-15-2011, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

Do a search on the forum. I saw a write up by a guy who found some neoprene style foam insulation sheets. He cut them to fit and glued them in place. He said it was a great insulator and noise reducer. It also looked a lot nicer than the white stock color.

I have also seen guys just bedline the inside of the top. Not sure how much insulation you get with that though.
Old 06-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer
Hotheads Representative

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hothead Headliners

Originally Posted by crawlah
I have a 2010 with a hard top and live in las vegas. Today got up to 105 wich is hot but it dose get hotter. I have noticed that the top gets extreamly hot so i hit it with an infrrared laser thermometer and it read 164 at 10am. Any one else notice this and what have you done to help it? I found a hardtop insulation kit in a mag i was wondering if its any good and worth spending 220 bucks on it?
If you do a search on this forum for Hothead Headliners you will find that our headliners do work and that the people who have bought them think they are worth the money.
You can see them at: Hothead Headliners

Mark
Old 06-20-2011, 11:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

I live in Oklahoma and it can get pretty hot here as well. I installed my Hothead Liner a couple of weeks ago and love it. I have no temp data to show but when I got in it Saturday afternoon, the temp guage read 107 outside. I started the my 4 door up and within 5 mins it was just right inside. My a/c fan ran at about 1/2 power all afternoon and work well for myself and my son in the back seat. Before the liner the fan would be running full blast just to keep my son some what comfortable in the back seat.

Love the Hothead Liner. It also cuts down on road noise and looks a lot better then the white inners of the hard top. Very easy to install.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:15 AM
JK Super Freak

i had the same issue here but was too broke for the hot headliners ( from what iv herd they work really well if u got the $) so i just ditched the hard top and threw on a bestop biki and its nice and and breezy now .

besides these two options i dont know what else you could do.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Options

Originally Posted by jtjk
i had the same issue here but was too broke for the hot headliners ( from what iv herd they work really well if u got the $) so i just ditched the hard top and threw on a bestop biki and its nice and and breezy now .

besides these two options i dont know what else you could do.
I painted the flat part of my hardtop with Bus-Kote, a white ceranic containing paint used on bus and RV roofs. Inside I have a layer of the double sided foil bubble wrap as an interim measure until I do something nicer.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another idea found on the forum was cut to fit the silver sun shades people use on the windshield.

Or goto home depot see if they have some type of spray in insulation. Same concept as styrofoam.

Just ideas
Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have had the Hothead Liners for about a year and they are very nice. Excellent insulation for hot or cold tops and the sound is much quieter in the cab as well.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Turbo
I have had the Hothead Liners for about a year and they are very nice. Excellent insulation for hot or cold tops and the sound is much quieter in the cab as well.
Another vote for the Hothead Headliner as well. Put mine in about a year ago and it was a vast improvement - with heat, cold and noise.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a nice product.

For the folks who have them: What color did you choose and how do you like it?

What are the pros/cons of having removable/Velcro setups verses the permanent install?

Anyone using the side window panels, too?

thanks!

Quick Reply: Hot top