Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Horrible Start-up Noise

Old 02-19-2009, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horrible Start-up Noise

If my JK sits up for a two/three days or when its coild outside....It makes a BAD noise when it fires and turns over?? I turn the key, wait a sec and then start it....Anybody heard this??
Old 02-19-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yup, Usually when its cold out and or if it sits for a few days your oil sets. The noise you are probably hearing is the lifters in the heads. That, plus might be close to needing an oil change. I had the same issue untill i switched to synthetic oil. Should stop as soon as your oil pump gets the oil back to top of the motor within a few seconds.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by JerseyJK07
Yup, Usually when its cold out and or if it sits for a few days your oil sets. The noise you are probably hearing is the lifters in the heads. That, plus might be close to needing an oil change. I had the same issue untill i switched to synthetic oil. Should stop as soon as your oil pump gets the oil back to top of the motor within a few seconds.
Yea, I just had my first oil change and the factory 5W-20 is a synthetic blend. Can this harm the motor?? No oil anywhere is bad thing!!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think this is due to some bad mopar oil filters. I gotten this issue with some of the Mopar oil filters. Possible issues with the drawback valve. If you are paying attention you can even see the low oil warning flash for a second after sitting for a few days.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:33 AM
JK Freak

Think its something I need to take to the dealer just any case??
Old 02-19-2009, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smundara@yahoo.com
I think this is due to some bad mopar oil filters. I gotten this issue with some of the Mopar oil filters. Possible issues with the drawback valve. If you are paying attention you can even see the low oil warning flash for a second after sitting for a few days.
Never had my low oil light come on but good point for sure! I get free synthetic oil changes from by brother in-laws and they use Mobil filters and i have not had a problem since, except once in Maine when temps droppped to -20 one night. but that was it.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

The cause of rapping at start up in most cases has been due to the oil filter. Now with that said you need to be careful what you do use. From what I have read on here the number one filter to give you this trouble is a Mobile One. I used to use them on all my vehicles. I still use them but not on my JK. It would rap at start up at anytime it sat more than a few hours. I went through a few filters till I figured it out.

The consensus I have read is there are only two filter that are least likely to cause this. They are fram which I do not recommend for any vehicle and a Motorcraft FL400s. I have been using a Motorcraft for over 20k miles and have had not one knock at start up. I am currently over 47k miles.

Do a search and read up on this topic it has been discussed a lot.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by derff96963
The cause of rapping at start up in most cases has been due to the oil filter. Now with that said you need to be careful what you do use. From what I have read on here the number one filter to give you this trouble is a Mobile One. I used to use them on all my vehicles. I still use them but not on my JK. It would rap at start up at anytime it sat more than a few hours. I went through a few filters till I figured it out.

The consensus I have read is there are only two filter that are least likely to cause this. They are fram which I do not recommend for any vehicle and a Motorcraft FL400s. I have been using a Motorcraft for over 20k miles and have had not one knock at start up. I am currently over 47k miles.

Do a search and read up on this topic it has been discussed a lot.
X2 on the fl400s. Smart choice... Ford can make some things right!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:59 AM
JK Jedi

It definitely sounds like the faulty anti-drainback valve issue on the oil filter. Overall the Mopar filters seem to be pretty good, but there have been a couple occasions that my JK has sat for 2-3 days and when starting I get a hint of the clatter sound. I may try one of the Motorcraft filters next and see how it goes.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:31 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Some of the Jeeps have been experiencing something entirely different....but sounding similar to the startup engine knock. A starter problem. There have been several forum members who have had their starter replaced and this has solved their problem.

Quick Reply: Horrible Start-up Noise