Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Horn went crazy!!!!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Horn went crazy!!!!

I was sitting in the living room watching a baseball game this evening, when all of a sudden the horn on my JK just started going off for no apparent reason. It blew for about 20 seconds and then shut off. Came back in the house and a couple of minutes later it did it again. It kept going off and on for the next few minutes until I could get the owners manual out and pull the fuse. The only thing I can think of is maybe something got wet. I had the top off today and got rained on, but nothing major. The seats were already completely dry a couple of hours after it stopped raining. Anyone else heard of anything like this?
Old 08-13-2009, 03:32 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bkoliba
I was sitting in the living room watching a baseball game this evening, when all of a sudden the horn on my JK just started going off for no apparent reason. It blew for about 20 seconds and then shut off. Came back in the house and a couple of minutes later it did it again. It kept going off and on for the next few minutes until I could get the owners manual out and pull the fuse. The only thing I can think of is maybe something got wet. I had the top off today and got rained on, but nothing major. The seats were already completely dry a couple of hours after it stopped raining. Anyone else heard of anything like this?
I've heard of this happening before, and it pretty much happened under the same circumstances. You need to get some fans on your dash probably. Just because your seats are dry doesn't mean anything under the dash is.

If you do some searching you'll find other threads on this topic.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had this happen once. After researching other threads, it appears that rain is the common factor. I had my top up, doors on, and windows in when it happened to me. I think rain drips in somewhere and sets off the horn. Where i don't know. I do know that whne parked at home, i'm on a slight hill so the Jeep in leaning to the left. Perhaps that helps the water get in to whereever.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:53 AM
JK Newbie

Default Darn horn!

Had mine go off when i decided to go asleep during a thunderstorm.Had my front tops off and she filled up with water.All said and done there was 4 inches of water inside.Thank god for drain plugs. Definetly burned a 8 sack to calm my nerves after that one. Water was actually flowing out of the CD player inlet.Damn thing hasnt missed a beat
Old 08-18-2009, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

you guys are right on track as per water making horn go crazy. I too have had the infamous ghost horn blaring like hell at 2am. pulled fuses, checked wiring to horn, let dry out couple days and now... all is well. checked clock spring, etc - no problema.
Old 08-20-2009, 09:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default It happened to me after a big storm!

It happened to me after a big storm! It was parked in the driveway. It dried out and it is fine now.

The horn got wet not the dashboard or steering wheel.
Old 12-30-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Newbie

On vacation and my neighbors told me horn was YELLING for like 4 hours off and on. This is a crazy quirk........Hadn't been driven in over a week windows up doors shoot top on and horn begins. They told me about it when I got home two days later but I couldn't ever figure it out.......Ghost
Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

SIDENOTE: The Jeep horn sounds like a sick goat.

Nearly got me into an accident on the highway when the guy coming over to my lane, didn't see me and didn't hear me laying in the horn.

That was enough for me.

I bought a Wolo Challenger EC air horn.

Now NOBODY can claim that they didn't hear me. lol

Old 12-31-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is the first I've heard of anything like that. I'd immediately think it was some little bastid in my neighborhood beepin my horn then running away.

Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Horn went crazy!!!!