Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Horn went crazy

Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn went crazy

Ok i looked through a few posts in here but just about every answer said they took it to the dealer and had it replaced under warranty. Unfortunately my jeep has 50k on it so... what do i do!?

I had the top up but the doors off and last night and today there was a good rain. On the way home from work today the horn just went off and kept going for a good minute before it just stopped, now it won't work at all when I push the button.

Posts i've read on here said perhaps the steering wheel got wet or perhaps the clock spring caused a short out or something. As mentioned most of the fixes I saw where from people who are still under warranty and just had it replaced.

I don't have that luxury and I don't want to spend a fortune taking it in... Will it work again after it dries out or is there anything I can do?
Old 06-11-2009, 02:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

After washing the engine compartment with a powerwasher I was driving the jeep when the windshield wipers began to move slowly. I thought it was the wind and thought "strange?" Then I turned down the radio and heard my horn going off. I pulled over, shut down the Jeep and it kept honking. After calling a friend he suggested that water may have found it's way into the electronic connections. This is the black box with red tabs that near the left front of the engine compartment. I pulled each one of the connections, one at a time, and tapped out some drops of water then plugged them back in. This did the trick. I started up the jeep, drove home, and it has not happened since. I plan on squeezing some additional dielectric grease into the connection to keep them watertight.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

I'd let it dry out for a few days and see what you got. I did the same thing (doors off, top up in the rain) and afterwards my radio volume knob wouldn't work. It dropped to zero when I turned it on and wouldn't register. Later that afternoon (it was hot and dry the rest of the day) it started working normally. I've also had my horn sound like "meep meep" after a long weekend of hitting some deep water but after a week or so it started working properly again.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you guys have the security system? Auto door unlock? Other electronic poof? I'm just asking, cuz I don't, and I wonder if Jeep has overwired its overwiring with the extras...

Quick Reply: Horn went crazy