Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Horn/Controls not working (not clockspring)

Old 09-01-2018, 03:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn/Controls not working (not clockspring)

So I've seen a lot of these post up and about on different forums but I'm looking for advice. I have a 2018 Rubicon Recon. Problems started probably within the first 3 months of owning the Jeep. I noticed that the Horn would not function, then I noticed that the steering wheel radio buttons would not function (volume, station channel) also the Uconnect buttons would not work, dash menu buttons (speedometer, tire pressure etc switch). The cruise control buttons still work. Jeep went to the dealer, they told me it was the clock spring, they replaced it and driving away I discovered the problem was still not fixed. I took the jeep back and after working on it they told me it was the wiring harness that went to the steering wheel and after replacing it and assuring me everything was working correctly I picked up the jeep, this time tested it before leaving the lot, still didn't work. So on the third time I brought it back they told me I had a bad TIPM unit but that it was on back order and they'd let me know when it came in. About a month later I got a call, they replaced the TIPM unit and again as soon as I got the Jeep I tested the controls and horn (which they assured me were working) and it still was not working. When the problem first started it was intermittent. After the jeep sat a while (overnight) it would not work... but after driving it for a bit the horn and volume switches would start functioning again. The problem has been getting worse though and now it hasn't worked for the past 3 weeks. The guys at the dealer say they are at a loss and don't know what the problem is. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Oh also the horn DOES still function... meaning if you hit the panic button the horn goes off. If you lock the jeep with the key fob the horn will go off, but it doesn't work when pressing the horn.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:32 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,701 Posts

They can't just say "oh, we're at a loss, don't know what the issue is, sorry." It's a brand new jeep, and the dealer is required to fix it under warranty. Have you looked at the Lemon Laws in Nebraska? They differ from state to state so not sure would be applicable in this instance or not. Personally, I'd be trying a different dealer, and raising hell up the corporate ladder. That answer is absolutely, 100%, not acceptable. This isn't your issue to figure out.
Old 09-01-2018, 06:43 PM
JK Newbie

I agree! They haven't given up per say. The service tech just told me that he was at a loss is all. He said to take the jeep home (this was Friday) and he'd call me by Saturday or Monday. He said he was going to talk to the head mechanic and see if they could brain storm and figure out what else they could do. Someone else on another forum mentioned that I should contact FCA as well and complain about it. I might do that.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

UPDATE.....

So I talked to the service guy today and he said that basically all of their guys are stumped. They have talked to Chrysler and replaced all the things they were told to replace. He said there is a tech adviser that will be at the dealership on Friday. I guess he's supposed to be really good and usually can figure stuff out when no one else can. He is going to talk to the Tech adviser and call me by noon on Friday and then we'll go from there. I'm half tempted to bring it to a reputable non dealer service department just to have them trouble shoot it, then bring it back to the dealership and say... oh hey, did you guys thing to check this?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:31 PM
JK Newbie

Update.................. Fixed

So took it back the 4th time. Initially I got a call saying that it was the clock spring and it had a short. I told them that the clock spring was the first thing that was replaced. They said they were going to replace it anyways... When they started to tear into it they discovered the issue was with some wiring that went to the clock-spring but not the clock-spring it's self, nor the wiring harness that they previously replaced. Picked up my jeep today and everything is working as it should b
Old 09-23-2021, 12:24 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stillmacrae

Update.................. Fixed

So took it back the 4th time. Initially I got a call saying that it was the clock spring and it had a short. I told them that the clock spring was the first thing that was replaced. They said they were going to replace it anyways... When they started to tear into it they discovered the issue was with some wiring that went to the clock-spring but not the clock-spring it's self, nor the wiring harness that they previously replaced. Picked up my jeep today and everything is working as it should b
I realize this is a bit later that your original post, but is there any way you can be a bit more specific on what the final repair ended up being? I'm going thru the exact same thing right now with no headlights or wipers and can't drive at night because of it. Thanks!
Old 09-27-2021, 04:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Headlight multifunction switch would be below the clock spring.This will not require removal of the steering wheel and air bag. I would pull the cover off of the steering column and check the plugs going into the switch.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:33 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nevrnf
Headlight multifunction switch would be below the clock spring.This will not require removal of the steering wheel and air bag. I would pull the cover off of the steering column and check the plugs going into the switch.
My bad....slight correction needed here! As I stated previous, I have no wipers or headlights/fog lights, but that is in addition to no steering wheel buttons of any kind except for cruise, which I do still have. My bad!!
Old 04-18-2022, 05:18 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jfogle01
My bad....slight correction needed here! As I stated previous, I have no wipers or headlights/fog lights, but that is in addition to no steering wheel buttons of any kind except for cruise, which I do still have. My bad!!
Did you ever get a fix or your Jeep?
Old 04-18-2022, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this problem the other day. My horn was not working. Ground G102, next to the air box is the ground for the horn. My ground terminal was corroded and gunky, stripped each wire back and replaced the terminal. horn works fine now.

2008 JK X 3.8

Quick Reply: Horn/Controls not working (not clockspring)