Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Horn button doesn't work...horn works when locking doors with fob

Old 11-18-2014, 02:16 PM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horn button doesn't work...horn works when locking doors with fob

DPS doesn't want to give me an inspection sticker because the horn won't work. I've changed out the fuses to no avail. It honks with the key fob when locking. What else can I look for without getting my face blasted off by the airbag?? Thanks! HBC
Old 11-18-2014, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

You've pretty much isolated it to the horn button circuit, which includes the clockspring. Some '07s had a special warranty on the clockspring--not sure what year yours is. I had mine changed at 147K miles to fix the horn, no charge. Check the button with an ohmmeter to eliminate it, but usually it is the clockspring.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:50 PM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Default Thanks!

Thanks Mark! Mine is an '07 with 112K on it. I hope the dealership here is as kind as yours was

HBC
Old 11-19-2014, 04:07 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your jeep is an 07 the clock spring is covered. Mine is an 08 and I had the same problem. I just replaced the clock spring. The part was under 200 dollars. It isn't that hard to replace, in fact the hardest part is getting the horn off. I am sure there is a good write up on this site. If you disconnect the battery am wait a few minutes the airbag won't explode in your face.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:47 AM
HBC
JK Enthusiast

Default Wow! Talk about a coincidence...

Originally Posted by RubiKing
If your jeep is an 07 the clock spring is covered. Mine is an 08 and I had the same problem. I just replaced the clock spring. The part was under 200 dollars. It isn't that hard to replace, in fact the hardest part is getting the horn off. I am sure there is a good write up on this site. If you disconnect the battery am wait a few minutes the airbag won't explode in your face.
What is the chance that you live in Edinburg, also?? By the way, it's good to know that the airbag won't take off my ugly face I had a hi-lift jack handle whack me under the jaw a few days ago when I took my attention off of it for a split second...don't need another round with Mike Tyson

Quick Reply: Horn button doesn't work...horn works when locking doors with fob