Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hood Screws

Old 11-01-2018, 01:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by resharp001
@Rednroll - do you have this issue as well since you're up there in Michigan?
I've never seen this and had the same thoughts as you in that they were some type of replacement screws. Maybe poor factory paint if they're not replacements.

Most likely scenario is that the previous owner removed them and the paint came off the screws from the tools during removal/re-install. I have no corrosion on mine. When I got my cowel ding from door removal, I read a write-up where someone had removed that center vent to provide better access to the back side of the cowel. I looked at that write-up and didn't see where you gained much additional access and realized I would need to remove painted screws in the process which was something I rather avoid. I purchased a glue stick dent puller instead. So I'm going to speculate previous owner had a similar problem and removed those screws and damaged the paint on the screws in the process. Which obviously wouldn't be covered by warranty and is the likely the reason not a lot of us have seen these screws rusted before. Likely self induced paint chipping off from removing those screws. Would make sense as well if the plastic washers are missing.

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-01-2018 at 02:26 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 02:03 AM
Super Moderator

Received 209 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by NeoJeo

thanks. I got 4 for $17 shipped. All set
After you have them pulled out, use a mild rubbing compound to get that white oxidation off, then follow that with a polisher, and then wax to bring back the shine. These foam pads work really well from Harbor freight to get things like that off the paint when combined with a polisher.
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-p...pad-60309.html

Last edited by Rednroll; 11-01-2018 at 02:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednroll
I've never seen this and had the same thoughts as you in that they were some type of replacement screws. Maybe poor factory paint if they're not replacements.

Most likely scenario is that the previous owner removed them and the paint came off the screws from the tools during removal/re-install. I have no corrosion on mine. When I got my cowel ding from door removal, I read a write-up where someone had removed that center vent to provide better access to the back side of the cowel. I looked at that write-up and didn't see where you gained much additional access and realized I would need to remove painted screws in the process which was something I rather avoid. I purchased a glue stick dent puller instead. So I'm going to speculate previous owner had a similar problem and removed those screws and damaged the paint on the screws in the process. Which obviously wouldn't be covered by warranty and is the likely the reason not a lot of us have seen these screws rusted before. Likely self induced paint chipping off from removing those screws. Would make sense as well if the plastic washers are missing.
true. I don’t see washers on either side. I’m replacing all 4 with washers. Also, my hinges on my hood are bubbling I read that’s due to using aluminum hinges on a steel body. I contacted Jeep and they were unaware of the issue. So I ordered new stainless hinges that have been painted. I just hate rust...

Quick Reply: Hood Screws