Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hood Latch Broken!

Old 11-02-2007, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by featherz
I haven't seen this yet, but please post pics of the 'zip tie' fix as I'd like to fix it BEFORE I see it.

I called my service dept to see if there was a "fix"....he said he'd never heard of such a problem....has ANYONE but me reported it? I'm guessing thousands have! Anyhow, he said to hold off doing anything "silly" until he checks with the Jeep tech....so, in the meantime, I came up with this fix, which is quicker,easier, and cheaper. Works great, and that hood will NOT pop up again, unless a zip tie breaks??

Old 11-02-2007, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmerc
I called my service dept to see if there was a "fix"....he said he'd never heard of such a problem....has ANYONE but me reported it? I'm guessing thousands have! Anyhow, he said to hold off doing anything "silly" until he checks with the Jeep tech....so, in the meantime, I came up with this fix, which is quicker,easier, and cheaper. Works great, and that hood will NOT pop up again, unless a zip tie breaks??
Zip Ties WILL break (especially exposed to the elements) just like:
Windows WILL Crash. It's as certain as death, and more so than taxes.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oZmonKey
Zip Ties WILL break (especially exposed to the elements) just like:
Windows WILL Crash. It's as certain as death, and more so than taxes.
Yup, I'm guessing that can happen, but I've already got a back up plan

Edit: My tie straps are rated for 75lbs each....and, can get stainless steel ties rated at 250 lbs each

Last edited by dmerc; 11-03-2007 at 06:21 AM.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:59 PM
JK Junkie

just silicone a piece of rubber hose behind the factory air deflector and there will be no more issues.Takes like 2 minutes! all sorts of threads about it. very easy to do.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fish
just silicone a piece of rubber hose behind the factory air deflector and there will be no more issues.Takes like 2 minutes! all sorts of threads about it. very easy to do.
Originally Posted by dmerc
I've had it! Mine did it even with the spring out, and the hose glued in the full width. In a strong headwind, an oncoming semi is reason enough for me to ride the far edge of the road. This is rediculous! And, a bug shield doesn't help.

I did that....helped at times, but didn't stop it.

Last edited by dmerc; 11-02-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: Hood Latch Broken!