Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hood Latch Broken!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No problem here. Doesn't budge a micron at highway speeds. And when I undo my latches, they are on TIGHT.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've never had the hood lift problem. I have the insulated hood. Could it be that it's primarily X's with the noninsulated hood?
Old 11-01-2007, 12:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PigsEye
I've never had the hood lift problem. I have the insulated hood. Could it be that it's primarily X's with the noninsulated hood?
I have a Sahara with an insulated hood.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
I have a Sahara with an insulated hood.
I have a Sahara with the insulated hood and have seen the hood lift.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

6K miles on my JK and I never had it. Until I took a 5K mile road trip with my son. And it seemed that every hay truck we passed on two-lane highways caused the hood to lift several inches .. scarily so, I should add. If you drive city/suburban roads or multi-lane, divided highways, I don't think you'll ever see this. But that's not my style. I've driven from Oklahoma to both coasts almost entirely on two-lane roads. And it can get scary when passing the far less frequent (which is why I do it) 18 wheelers, especially hay trucks (don't ask me why--that's just the way it is).

--mark d.
Old 11-01-2007, 02:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not sure what you mean by insulated... but i do have rubber seals all around the front of the hood.

Even doing 85mph on the freeway and passing a semi (or them passing me lol) i have not seen my hood budge, vibrate, or move in any way, shape or form.

Even on some gusty days with 40mph crosswinds i have not seen it move.

'07X 2-door
Old 11-01-2007, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had it! Mine did it even with the spring out, and the hose glued in the full width. In a strong headwind, an oncoming semi is reason enough for me to ride the far edge of the road. This is rediculous! And, a bug shield doesn't help.

I'm gonna' try replacing the hinge pins with brass or stainless steel pins, then drill and tap the end, so I can latch it down, AND THEN, have a strap between the two hinges, with screws into the ends of the hinges.. One strap on each side of the hood, not both sides of the pins. I'll post pics when I do it....can't see how the plastic hinge pins come apart, might just cut the heads off on one side of each pin. There is a bushing at each side of the pin, then the actual thru' pin is fairly small.

Whatcha' think?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BrinksJeep
More JK BS. The more I read these forums, the quicker i want to dump my Jk. But its too early and I'd lose my butt$$ right now.
this isn't for you in particular... but i think all of us should stop with the negatives and be more positive! i find 90% of these posts are "problem" fixes or actual problems with the jeep, all negative... or maybe this is just me?
Old 11-01-2007, 06:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dmerc
I've had it! Mine did it even with the spring out, and the hose glued in the full width. In a strong headwind, an oncoming semi is reason enough for me to ride the far edge of the road. This is rediculous! And, a bug shield doesn't help.

I'm gonna' try replacing the hinge pins with brass or stainless steel pins, then drill and tap the end, so I can latch it down, AND THEN, have a strap between the two hinges, with screws into the ends of the hinges.. One strap on each side of the hood, not both sides of the pins. I'll post pics when I do it....can't see how the plastic hinge pins come apart, might just cut the heads off on one side of each pin. There is a bushing at each side of the pin, then the actual thru' pin is fairly small.

Whatcha' think?
i'd like to see that... good idea. i was thinking of changing out a lot of the plastic screws and rivits with metal.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Sieran
Even doing 85mph on the freeway and passing a semi (or them passing me lol) i have not seen my hood budge, vibrate, or move in any way, shape or form.
Try it passing a semi on a two lane road--when you're doing 85 going east and he's doing 85 going west. You'll see it. And, as another poster said, you'll quickly learn to get over to the far right side of the road. There is a separate danger in that, BTW: The danger of debris in that untraveled part of the road causing a tire failure at high speed.

Quick Reply: Hood Latch Broken!