Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hood latch

Old 01-19-2011, 05:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood latch

I just finished installing the daystar hood latch kit and i have to admit they should keep the hood from vibration. It took everything i had to just get them to latch. The rubber replacement is about 1/4" shorter than the oem, so that accounts for why it is more solid, but i never knew i would build up my arms by opening and closing the hood.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by largo
I just finished installing the daystar hood latch kit and i have to admit they should keep the hood from vibration. It took everything i had to just get them to latch. The rubber replacement is about 1/4" shorter than the oem, so that accounts for why it is more solid, but i never knew i would build up my arms by opening and closing the hood.
We know what you mean. They do stretch a little but after 1 1/2 years mine are still extremely tight. When I first put them on I could hear the metal stressing. They ruin the hood lines but do not let the hood move.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Same here. Pain in the butt to get them latched, and the hood is touching on one side which I hope doesnt rub off the paint. The best part is no more flutter.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:14 AM
JK Freak

Yeh, I even looked to see if there was any give in the attaching bolts, but alas, nothing I could do. I am sure I will not have any flutter. The pain is, my rig is a 2011 and I did not have any yet anyway, but I did know that after awhile I would see it happen. Had a 09 that was really bad until I replaced with some upgraded OEM latches. I would doubt I will ever have to do anything with the hood again.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Is hood flutter so bad. I just ignore it. Yeah, it was initially kind of scary but now, it doesn't bother me. The hood's not going to fly open since you've got the secondary latch to hold it. Is there a reason other than it bugs you guys when it flutters?
Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM
JK Freak

If you soak them in really hot water before installing them they close alot better the first time. Mine did not affect the lines of the hood.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5150cliff
Is hood flutter so bad. I just ignore it. Yeah, it was initially kind of scary but now, it doesn't bother me. The hood's not going to fly open since you've got the secondary latch to hold it. Is there a reason other than it bugs you guys when it flutters?
The only reason I added mine is because it would do it's crazy hood dance everytime a big truck or a strong gust of wind blew by. I didn't want to be the first jeep owner with a hood in the windshield b/c my secondary latch for some odd reason didn't work. Crazy things happen, this forum is my proof.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Imagine having the bushwhacker hood guard on there...it adds a little to the bottom edge of the hood. It is super tight! But mine has gotten a little better aftr a few weeks.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by indyjeep
Imagine having the bushwhacker hood guard on there...it adds a little to the bottom edge of the hood. It is super tight! But mine has gotten a little better aftr a few weeks.
Yeah but the bushwacker hood hard contribute to the hood flutter also, I have the daystars and I get a little movement not a lot, I think is because of the hood hard.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:23 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nlam2001

Yeah but the bushwacker hood hard contribute to the hood flutter also, I have the daystars and I get a little movement not a lot, I think is because of the hood hard.
Sorry I meant hood guard. Lol

Quick Reply: Hood latch