Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Holy crap my hood!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 09:09 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Iused the Mopar hood lock. More because I live in a bad neighborhood but it also serves to pull the hood down when locked.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Newbie

I just removed the little spring at the front of the hood... problem totally solved!
Old 06-11-2009, 05:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jiblet
basically, people have modified their latches with zip-ties; installed new latches (from dealer or DayStar); removed the hood spring; bought an aftermarket (heavier) hood, installed grille inserts; did I miss any?
My hood stopped bouncing when I mounted a HiLift jack to the hood using the Tough Stuff hood mount.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron

1. Removing the spring: Quick, easy solution. But, some report that their hood still bounces under most severe conditions. Also makes it so the hood doesn't pop up slightly when released (the purpose of the spring, of course).

8. Zip-tie it: My preferred solution. After a number of folks complained that their chosen solution still did not work, I installed 11" zip-ties and the hood dance stopped. Some don't care for the appearance, but I think it's hardly noticeable. I had one zip-tie break under very severe conditions (I do live in Oklahoma!), but carry a few spares in the glove box (also holds my Hi-Lift handle in place on the hood):
I zip-tied mine. Problem solved very cheaply. But zip ties deteriorate over time and break, and cheapos don't work at all (break before the hood is latched). Removed spring for backup assurance. Zero cost. NEVER ONCE have I had a hood dance performed for my driving pleasure since I did the Zip/Spring fix. And I spent the $23 bucks saved (generous allowance between the Daystars and the zip ties) on better things, like beer.
Old 06-11-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shindiggsxr
I was coming home over the weekend after riding my dirtbike in Pontotoc Mississippi going about 80mph when I got around some big trucks my hood started going up and down what the heck is this? I have a 09 jk unlimited.
Yours is an '09 so take it in for the recall. I put the recall part # hood latches on my '08 6 months ago and it hasn't done it since then. It was really bad before I did that and now I can drive 80+ mph passing trucks on windys days with no issues. And my commute is all interstate 20 miles each way at 80+ mph most of the time.

Best $9 I spent on the JK and super easy fix.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red08rubicon_tx
Just buy the daystar hood wrainglers and you will never have to worry again. It takes 2 hands just to latch one, but the hood has never moved on mine since installing them. Only $30-40 best mod I have done so far.
7 months with the Daystars and not a single hood lift! Issue resolved...
Old 06-13-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was coming home over the weekend after riding my dirtbike in Pontotoc Mississippi going about 80mph when I got around some big trucks my hood started going up and down what the heck is this? I have a 09 jk unlimited.
It's called "The Hood Dance". Some JKers enjoy taking a non Jeeper for a ride and watching them squirm and grab on when it happens!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between

Did I misunderstand, or was the hood dance "fixed" with the 09 s or should the hood latches be replaced on them as well?
Reason for asking, is Iv got an 09 and so far havent had the flutter.
Maybe juck lucky.
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Lol, the first it happen to me had to pull in to a rest stop and wipe, Get some hood wranglers $24 at any sponser here
Old 06-14-2009, 04:08 AM
JK Super Freak

One word. WARRANTY! Why spend your time and money on it? Had mine taken care of at the dealer under warranty and haven't had problems since.

Quick Reply: Holy crap my hood!!!