Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Holy crap my hood!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this in another hood thread. I like the look of the latches on the Sarge. To me, these look like they could be fabbed from standard latches and the appropriate springs (some type of brake springs maybe?) If anyone would like to donate an old latch, I'll take on the task.

Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I finally spent the $27 w/free shipping and fixed the problem on my '09. I didnt want to spend good money over bad parts and installed the daystar latches. Very quick fix and the hood is not going anywhere now. Worth the money if you dont like the flighty hood issue.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:27 AM
JK Newbie

Yeah...i have the bounce effect going on my 08 Jeep.....just driving on the interstate....with no semi's passing...my hood bounces...think i am going to try the Daystar latches
Old 06-09-2009, 11:38 AM
JK Newbie

Daystar's are the way to go.. My hood hasn't lifted once since putting them on.. They are tight and you think you're going to break something before the latch up..

Tried removing the spring and it didn't do anything for my hood lift...
Old 06-09-2009, 11:47 AM
JK Freak

my '93 wrangler did it and my '04 STi does it too. Oh yeah, and so does my '07JK unltd
Old 06-09-2009, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Quick fix idea: Near the mid-portion of the hood, cut out a 1' long x 3' wide hole. Bolt on some plexi-glass!
When the hood is down it will serve as a window to see your squeaky-clean engine (yeah-right).... then when the hood flies open it will serve as a window to see oncoming traffic!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I am one of the few who had success with the recal latches. Haven't had an issue since installed and I regulary drive into 30-40mph head and side winds. My hood used to dance all over (even with the highlift on it) now the most I have noticed is during the heavies of side winds the center of the hood will bulge slightly. No more dance.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by abundigas
Its called living on the edge. Will the latch hold or not . Mine does the same thing usually when a Semi passes going the other direction on a 2 lane highway. You get use to it, now its just fun to watch. Sort of like Russian Roulett....Is this the one that is going to get me.... Nope survived another one.
yea talk about the butt hole puckering up. this freaked me out the first time. but i have had ahood flip all the way to the windshild running 70 on the highway in the passing lane. this was in a 69 ford truck riding with my uncle. so when my jeep hood started jumping im like here we go i will be seeing nothing but silver. i guess if it ever comes up i can just stick my head out the window like jim carry.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by donnie
Is this problem something that occurs on the earlier hoods?
Reason for asking is Iv got an 09 and under certain circumstances, on a two lane road, I get a little "bounce".
Thanks
2009 with a build date of February 2009, Happened to me on a two lane road, strong headwind, and semi passing me, pucker marks on my seat, I pulled over thought maybe I didn't latch them correctly... Only happened that once, I guess the perfect condition, I have seen a little movement but not another one like that. Does it again, will definitely get the daystars.

My drivers door has the knocking sound too. Off to get some electrical tape.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a lot of people say to buy the aftermarket latches... but try removing the spring first, it's easy and free. IF it doesn't work and the hood still lifts up, then you're not out anything but a few minutes time and you can put it right back on. If it does work, you save a couple bucks.

So everyone, try removing the spring first, at least while the latches are on order. You may be surprised.

Last edited by xerofall; 06-10-2009 at 09:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Holy crap my hood!!!