Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Holy crap my hood!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 10:20 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by armycop
Go with the Daystar hood wranglers, they are the best option right now. I have had the 2007, 2008, and 2009 recall latches and tried all the mods on the site. Nothing worked as well as the $27 Daystars, I have bought them for both of my JK's and they are the best solution.
Daystar, best way to go, did mine and haven't had a flutter since.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Shoup
Daystar, best way to go, did mine and haven't had a flutter since.
x2. No flutter after the daystar install
Old 06-08-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 0JdominatorK8
x2. No flutter after the daystar install
I think we are up to x10 on the Daystar Hood Wranglers....solid as a rock since install.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:19 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

This is rather a pet interest of mine, so I follow all of these threads and talk to folks who've tried the various options a lot. Here's the truth:

1. Removing the spring: Quick, easy solution. But, some report that their hood still bounces under most severe conditions. Also makes it so the hood doesn't pop up slightly when released (the purpose of the spring, of course).

2. Installing a rubber hose behind the weather stripping: Partial success, but still some dancing.

3. Removing/installing/doing anything with the air dam: Has no effect on hood dance at all, no matter what you might read.

4. My JK doesn't suffer hood dance: That's because this JK hasn't been in the right conditions. All stock JKs suffer hood dance.

5. Daystar latches: Most expensive solutions ($25-35). Works, but everyone reports that the latches are extremely tight--some worry they will break their latch mechanisms it's so tight (none have reported this, however).

6. A hood has never popped open: Not that I know of. However, a latch did come flying off and the safety catch is what stopped that from happening. You can find the thread here on JK-Forum where it happened to one of our members.

7. Recall latches: They're supposed to be stiffer, but many have reported hood dance on newer vehicles not eligible for the recall (IOW, presumably they have the newer latches). And many who have purchased the recall latches report continuing problems with hood dance (or what they were told were the recall latches--word is that dealers aren't supposed to sell them).

8. Zip-tie it: My preferred solution. After a number of folks complained that their chosen solution still did not work, I installed 11" zip-ties and the hood dance stopped. Some don't care for the appearance, but I think it's hardly noticeable. I had one zip-tie break under very severe conditions (I do live in Oklahoma!), but carry a few spares in the glove box (also holds my Hi-Lift handle in place on the hood):

Old 06-08-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shindiggsxr
I was coming home over the weekend after riding my dirtbike in Pontotoc Mississippi going about 80mph when I got around some big trucks my hood started going up and down what the heck is this? I have a 09 jk unlimited.
u make the jk sad
Old 06-08-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
I think we are up to x10 on the Daystar Hood Wranglers....solid as a rock since install.
uhhh..... x11 lol
Old 06-08-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Freak

remove spring...period done
Old 06-08-2009, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shindiggsxr
I was coming home over the weekend after riding my dirtbike in Pontotoc Mississippi going about 80mph when I got around some big trucks my hood started going up and down what the heck is this? I have a 09 jk unlimited.
Hi! I've been procrastinating about the "fix" I want to do to stop my hood from dancing. I'd like to install a pair of "hood pins" like I had on my '68 Dodge Charger when I was a kid. I swear they where the only things holding the hood down after it got up around 135 - 140 MPH! At those speeds even the vacuum closed headlight covers would be forced open. Besides...I still think the hood pin look is "cool"! Take care... Mike
Old 06-09-2009, 06:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is this problem something that occurs on the earlier hoods?
Reason for asking is Iv got an 09 and under certain circumstances, on a two lane road, I get a little "bounce".
Thanks
Old 06-09-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

I think it happens on every JK. Kinda poor construction on jeeps part

Quick Reply: Holy crap my hood!!!