Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Holy crap my hood!!!

Old 06-08-2009, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holy crap my hood!!!

I was coming home over the weekend after riding my dirtbike in Pontotoc Mississippi going about 80mph when I got around some big trucks my hood started going up and down what the heck is this? I have a 09 jk unlimited.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its called living on the edge. Will the latch hold or not . Mine does the same thing usually when a Semi passes going the other direction on a 2 lane highway. You get use to it, now its just fun to watch. Sort of like Russian Roulett....Is this the one that is going to get me.... Nope survived another one.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:46 AM
JK Freak

There is a recall on the 2009 hood latches. I had really bad hood lift with my 2008 and bought the 2009 recall latches for $9 from the dealer and it fixed my problem completely. The new latches are shorter and a much harder rubber compound.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

there are lots of "fixes" but no real consensus. Try the search feature and write-ups.

basically, people have modified their latches with zip-ties; installed new latches (from dealer or DayStar); removed the hood spring; bought an aftermarket (heavier) hood, installed grille inserts; did I miss any?

All with variable results.

FWIW, no one has reported that the hood has actually popped open at speed. At least I haven't heard of it happening yet.

welcome to the forum!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't get too excited about the recall latches. They didn't work for me at all. Some say they work at first and then stretch and begin to suck. Mine just didn't work. Easiest thing is to remove the spring under the hood. The hood is not going anywhere. It is latched in the front center.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

I tried removing the spring but the zip tie method has worked the best for me. Might was getting flightly just driving in moderately windy conditions!
Old 06-08-2009, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just buy the daystar hood wrainglers and you will never have to worry again. It takes 2 hands just to latch one, but the hood has never moved on mine since installing them. Only $30-40 best mod I have done so far.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on DocD. I bought the recall kit from my dealer for 8.95 and then went into the service tech and told him what the hood was doing, and he had a mechanic come out and put the kit on for me for free. It solved all of the problems and I have NO movement now at any speed.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:46 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by abundigas
Its called living on the edge. Will the latch hold or not . Mine does the same thing usually when a Semi passes going the other direction on a 2 lane highway. You get use to it, now its just fun to watch. Sort of like Russian Roulett....Is this the one that is going to get me.... Nope survived another one.
Haha. That's exactly what I do when I head home. I've gotten it to the point where I can guess exactly when I'll get the gust of wind.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the Daystar hood wranglers, they are the best option right now. I have had the 2007, 2008, and 2009 recall latches and tried all the mods on the site. Nothing worked as well as the $27 Daystars, I have bought them for both of my JK's and they are the best solution.

Quick Reply: Holy crap my hood!!!