Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Holes in soft top

Old 08-24-2010, 06:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holes in soft top

I have a 2010 4 dr unlimited and i am starting to see little hole around the hinges of the soft top (I will post pics tomm.) is anyone else experiencing this?
Old 08-24-2010, 08:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have two pin hole ones on each side of mine up near the front. I think that the first time I put it in my boot it rubbed a little bit. It is not all the way through on mine and I will probably just try to fill it with something and be more careful in the future. If the hole has any size to it it will most likely need to be patched, good luck.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had holes that expanded into larger ones on my TJ and a fellow jeeper reccomended stitching it back together with a needle and fishing line and when you have it all tight us hot glue over that. So I did and WOW!!!!! it worked beyond what I could have ever imagined. It lasted 2 summers and 2 winters before I sold it. When I sold it the glue and stitching was holding as strong as the day I did it.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:34 AM
JK Newbie

flat black vinyl from a sign shop can seal non stitched areas, but is a band-aid.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a small 4mm hole on the passengers side edge along the folding hinge.

There is a vinyl shop here specializing in soft top repairs. They charged me $20 to cement in a vinyl patch and it's held up for 3 years now.

The shop told me under no circumstances would they recommend stitching the patch into place as that will make the problem worse over time because it would make new holes that start wearing and expanding.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am starting to see them on each side of the top. Is this something I can get covered under warranty since I have about 6K on the rig? I'm sure as hell gonna try.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NUTT00
I am starting to see them on each side of the top. Is this something I can get covered under warranty since I have about 6K on the rig? I'm sure as hell gonna try.
Worth a shot. Mine currently has 1500 miles and I didn't bother with it since mine were so small and not all of the way through. I just bought some of the vinyl patch stuff for $7 and filled them in. Let me know if you get yours covered as if mine doesn't hold up well during winter storage I will maybe try to go this route.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Will do. The dealer took some pics to submit for approval, and is supposed to call me today to let me know what they say.

Quick Reply: Holes in soft top