Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

Hitting knee on key

Old 02-28-2010, 09:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitting knee on key

Hey guys, got a question. I've had my '09 Sahara about a year now and love it. I'm 6'8" and fit fairly well but I keep hitting my knee on the (huge) keyfob while driving. I've searched for ways to lower the seat (further than the stock lever allows) and have come up empty. Anyone have any ideas? Or possibly a different key that would work that doesn't stick out as far? (I have factory remote start). I read where you could maybe velcro the original key close to the ignition and use a copied key to start it. I realize this would defeat the anti-theft, but I wouldn't leave the original in the Jeep all the time of course, just while driving. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

-Mark
Old 02-28-2010, 11:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only thing I can think of is some type of mod to the seat. Maybe have a welding shop cut down the height of the seat mounts and have it rewelded.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by The Jeep
Only thing I can think of is some type of mod to the seat. Maybe have a welding shop cut down the height of the seat mounts and have it rewelded.
x2 or if they can't modify the factory bracket they should be able to fabricate one for you.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
JK Freak

In the new 4WD catalog pg. 210 Misch has what they are calling their "Big Boy" seat brackets. Listed for $70.00 each and gives aprox 4" increase in travel. FYI
Old 03-01-2010, 03:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On ebay you can get Chrysler keys for your Jeep. $10/pop and they work just fine. I have 2.
I bought them to have extras in case I lose the fob key and can always reprogram myself (you need to have 2 to reprogram a third.)
It is half as thick and more than a 1/2 inch shorter.

Pic below for reference:

Old 03-01-2010, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

take the seat to an upolstry shop and they could cut out some of the foam

Quick Reply: Hitting knee on key